need to know if anybody knows what rearend my 88 XJ jeep cherokee larado might have i got a bent axle n need to know called the dealership n there comp dosent go back that far any help

joejoes
105

Asked by joejoes Feb 11, 2013 at 08:12 PM about the 1988 Jeep Cherokee

i had it looked at by tire discounters ...they said it was a bent axle and so now i'm having trouble
locating a right rear axle and yes we've been doing daily driving on it for 4 years no joke it's held up it's
a split rear end it does shake and tire wobbles but still goes strait

49,585

Try Jeepforum.com

7jimmy7
10,575

if you were gonna drive on it anyway you could have shimed the rim with washers on the low side at least !!

Eugen Dinica
185

An axle.....have you looked online,junkyards, craig list....theres a million places. You probably have a Dana 35 rear axle, you can get another axle for next to nothing. Look around for your local Jeep Club.

NVSmith
85

There are two possibilities: one is to look for a little tag that was SUPPOSED to be attached to the differential during manufacture. Most have long since disappeared. The other (messy) option is to take the cover off the differential housing, count the number of teeth on the main gear and then the number o teeth on the smaller gears. Divide the smaller number into the larger and you will have the ratio. Don't worry if it comes out 3.47, you have a 3.50

thejeepdoctor
1,855

dana or spicer. I think the dana uses 10 regular bolts in the insp. cover. spicer used torx bolts. (STAR) Hope this helps......

Nick Garrett
195

go to jeepforum.com and type in xj rear diff. you should find a pic on one of the threads that shows what different diff's look like, but any xj axle should fit it.