how do you recommend cleaning the engine.

ffmike102
0

Asked by ffmike102 Jan 17, 2007 at 07:03 PM about the 1987 Chevrolet Corvette

there is dirt and grime on the engine and I was wondering what electronics need to be covered for degreasing and cleaning the motor.

LouB
13,940

Hey Mike ... here's a short tutorial on how it's done ... http://www.properautocare.com/howdoiclandd.html ... and here's another one ... http://www.womanmotorist.com/index.php/news/main/2341/event=view ... That should get you started! Good luck!

Ranger762
395

Hi, I'm Terry AKA(Ranger762) And I detail cars part time for a living, I used to di it full time for about 10 years, but decided to go part time the last 5 years. Too many auto washes you know.I may start back full time very soon if this contract comes through. Sorry to the point, as I said I have detailed all sorts of car for about 15 years total now. And if your are not a professional technician, or a professional auto detailer(and yes there is such a thing) then I would not try cleaning the engine myself. At least not with a bottle of degreaser and a garden hose. There way too many degreasers with chemicals to list here that can discolor certain parts, and can damage others. My suggestion is take it to a professional. Yes it will cost (usually not too much just for the engine compartment) but the advantage is you engine will be cleaned professionally which means anything that he or she screws up they have to have it repaired. Most Pro's are bonded and insured just for things like that, and they have checked and rechecked with everyone in the business about all sorts of engines and what to do and what not to do. Really that is your best bet. But if you are just set in your heart on cleaning it yourself (or at least some of it). Use a damp (not soaking wet) cloth. It woud be best to use one that will not leave peices of cotton stuck to everything. Something like what is called a cheese cloth or a good polishing cloth. And just wipe the engine compartment clean. Yes it will take time, but you stand very little chance of burning out some very expensive parts. Any painted plastic, you can use a mild cleaner(click on my nickname go to my profile and you will see many places to get mild cleaners from). They are products that I use myself and most are designed for a particular cleaning job. Such as engine compartments. And they will all come with detailed instructions. If you use a mild cleaner on painted plastic spray it on the cloth not on the par itself. Metal parts are a bit harder. In most newer Vette's there are several types of metal. different cleaners do different things to different metals. So first try a mild soap. Most dish soaps have mild grease cutting agents in them. But again put the cleaner on the cloth don't spray it on the part. And by the way NEVER use dish soap on the outside of you car. No matter what anyone tells you and no matter how mild it may say it is. I promise you that if you do you could screw up you cars finish.Most dish soaps will take any wax on a car off after using it only one time. I have a 1989 Camaro RS that is a current project car for me. And I will not even use a pressure washer or even a garden hose to the engine compartment. I clean a little of it each day that I have time. And there is really not that much I could hurt in that car. But to me i'ts still just not worth the chance. Do whatever you think is best. But if you have invested in a Corvette (and most Corvettes are a small investment) I would just take my time, do small portions at a time and before you know it. I'ts clean. I hope you find this useful. If I can answer any questions for you please ask, I will do my best. And if I don't know the answer I will research it and ask until I get you an answer. Enjoy your new Vette. Please let me know how it comes out, and what you decide to do. Terry