how do you replace the rear bearings

73vette
0

Asked by 73vette Feb 25, 2010 at 11:23 AM about the 1973 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible

I would like to know if and how to replace the rear bearing in my vette. Ive being told I need a special press.

Dobermann
355

Jack the car up, and remove the tires,half-shafts momo spring and shocks. Swing the calipers up and out of the way.Remove front drive shaft. Undo the four bolts on top of the differential.Once lowered down to the floor, unbolt diff and remove side yokes and shafts(there is a snap ring at the end of the shaft)The bearings can then be carefully removed with a brass drift.Install the new ones with a socket of the same size.Sometimes I use a long section of all thread and put a flat washer on the bearing and one on the other side of the case and draw it into position. I have a press, but this is much easier, and I have done at least 30 this way with no problems.