slow sprinter

sprinter1122
30

Asked by sprinter1122 Jun 29, 2011 at 05:29 PM about the 2005 Dodge Sprinter

my 05 sprinter has no power. just changed 3 injector and injection pump and turbo hose. veryslow accelaration. from 60 to 70 crawls. cant go faster than 70. crawls up hills. please advise.

Dan Connell
4,375

is there any thing else thats odd? check engine lights, excessive black smoke, any greyish/whitish or bluish smoke? do these vans have mercedes benz diesels in them or do they have the cummins 4bt? if you fill me in a little more ill be able to help

papa

sounds like the cat converter is stoped up,or the timeing is off,jumped time.

Dan Connell
4,375

i dont think these trucks have cats, some diesels do i know that, but im pretty sure this has the mercedes benz bluetec stuff on it, if so its got a DPF so there could be a problem with the regeneration mode, and its causing high drive line pressures but i think that would turn a CEL on

sprinter1122
30

check engine light is on, freightliner blamed that on the glow plugs.when it cut off the other day black smoke came out on restart.

Dan Connell
4,375

im assuming this is the mercedes engine then because you said glow plugs. id go get your codes scanned and see what they are. glow plugs wouldnt cause your engine to cut out at all, my bet is you could possibly be having a lift pump issue, does it stumble and then pick right back up? if so thats your lift pump starting to die and your High pressure injection pump is picking up the slack. another thing is when under acceleration do you hear what sounds like a fan blowing under the hood? if so you have a hole in one of the boost tube boots, and your losing boost pressure, that will cause black smoke poor acceleration and possibly could be the reason why the truck wont get up to over 40

Dan Connell
4,375

70 rather sorry

sprinter1122
30

Hi Dan, I changed intercooler hoses and resanator today. Still no accelaration. I am thinking of dropping tank and clean that out.

sprinter1122
30

Hi Dan, I just changed resanator and both intercooler hoses, Its still has accelaration issues. I am thinking of cleaning fuel tank next.

papa

have you checked the turbo,loose bolts,crack in it,a wire laying on it burnt rember theses things run very hot.i know this is not a big rig,i had a small crack on turbo on one of my trucks,puffed black smoke out both stacks.also a dirty air filter will cause problems.

warwickpro5
10

I had the same issue, i changed my fuel filter and it took catr ofy problem,

Brando7777
0

I am going through this same problem now for 3 months. I have changed SO FAR: 1. NEW TURBO AND ELECTRONIC AUCULATOR box and ARM DEVICE. 2. EGR VALVE. 3. NEW BOOST SENSOR. 4. TURBO AIR HEAT REGULATION SENSOR. 5. CLEANED AND CHECKED ALL TURBO HOSES. 6. AIR FILTER. 7. TURBO AIR RESONATOR PIPE TO SOLID ALUMINUM aftermarket PIPE. I am still having the same problem when i climb a hill my 05 sprinter goes limp cant go much more than 62mph on flats. As of right now I am going to clean the manifold taking it off and professionally cleaning the soot and oil build up. If that doesn't solve it going to check the inter cooler for a hole or corrosion. I would check your turbo and especially the electric auculator box that open and close the turbo vanes sometimes these can freeze up and the arm wont move from heat and build up rust corrosion if this happens usually the plastic auculator box gears will break off as well because the box is still working but the arm is stuck so the gears plastic teeth break off inside the box. Good Luck Sprinters are great when they are running but can be a big mystery to fix them so many sensors and parts that go bad on them and overcomplicated systems.