I want to replace my passenger mirror

Asked by Mar 27, 2013 at 06:45 PM about the 1999 Pontiac Bonneville 4 Dr SSEi Supercharged Sedan

Can someone point me in the right direction?
Is there a tutorial that i can refer to? With screenshots if possible? :)

I am BRAND NEW to the world of self-repairs, and this would be my first ever project!

FYI: Its a 1999 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi, and the mirror is powered. Also i already have the mirror, and
painted it as well to match my car color, so the only (and biggest) step left is to install it.

Thank you!
AJ

95,015

That's one of those fancy cars with the mirror mounted on the door. You will need to roll the window down and remove the door control panel. There should be a Phillips head screw in there that gets removed. There should be a couple more screws holding the door panel in place. Look around the handle and behind lights or reflectors. When all the screws are out, feel along the bottom of the panel for a indentation. If there is one, pull on it to pop the fuzzy plastic studs out of the door. Keep removing studs across the bottom and up the sides. The panel should now swing out freely. If it doesn't, look for another panel screw. When the panel swings free, lift up to free it from the top edge. Take a good look at where the trim goes so you know how to put it back together. A picture would be a plus. --- Carefully pull the plastic liner down from the top in the front corner. Don't tear it, it goes back on and it keeps water out. Unplug the electrical connections, remove the nuts and the old mirror falls to the ground if you're not holding on to it. This might be a good time to clean and wax the area around the mirror. Install the new mirror, plug the electrics in and test it before putting it all together. --- That's covering all the high points.... good luck.

Awesome! That indeed helps. Thanks 'Tenspeed' :) One more question on this: Do i need to remove the Battery 'Negative' connector before i start? I vaguely remember reading something on that.

95,015

You don't really have to remove the battery negative. The mirror control is on the drivers door and the key has to be on to operate anything. You might want to shut the interior lights off at the dome to prevent battery run down. --- Some people will always say to kill the power but I don't know if that will effect the radio and not anything to get shorted to ground in the door.

Best Answer

Perfect! I will try it out and let you guys know. Thanks. This community is awesome!!!