Park brake light wont go off

Asked by Jun 23, 2016 at 08:39 AM about the 2000 Mercury Mystique 4 Dr GS Sedan

A few days ago my park brake light jumped
on and now won't go off and I raised the
park brake up and down but still won't stop
flashing and my brake fluid full please help
me I spent my last in this car and it's hard
being a single mother

19,725

More than likely it is not serious- just the brake handle getting loose and not engaging the little light switch correctly- it can be adjusted- I doubt if it means your E-brake is on- does the car feel like it's on?

Best Answer
4,125

U need to remove cover at bottom of emergency brake handle and adjust switch. Disconnect it first to see if it goes out, if it does, it just needs to be adjusted if it doesn't go off after disconnecting, u have short circuit somewhere

It does not feel like the park brakes are on

My friend removed the cover and disconnected the switch and still won't go off and don't really have the money for a mechanic so don't know what to try now

How do I adjust the brake handle

4,125

If u removed the wire and it still on, it's not gonna do anything by adjusting it. Have u recently added or installed anythi g like a radio or any other device, if u did, that's probably where ur problem is, it's getting voltage from that device. If not, ur gonna have trace te wire and see where it's touching another hot wire