No power to anything

Asked by Nov 24, 2013 at 04:43 PM about the 2004 INFINITI G35 Coupe

Recently replaced AC and PS belts (Napa lifetime warranty belts). I did not have a
torque socket so I do not know how tight they were. Seemed easy enough, ran fine
after, but when turning right or left I heard some squealing and the battery and brake
light (on dash) were flickering as I drove. I got home tightened the tension adjuster to
the PS belt thinking that the belt was too loose. It started up and I figured it would be
fine. The car intermittently would die then come back on (the car would go dead, while
driving then all the power would come back on). Made it home again and once again
tightened the adjuster to the PS belt thinking it couldn't get too tight but maybe its too
loose and not running the alternator correctly. After tightening, I started it and it
seemed fine, so left it in the garage. About 2 days later, I start it up, pull out, and start
driving, I get about 100 feet and the car dies- no power to anything, no lights on dash,
no lights, key fob won't work, trunk release in the car will not work, I mean no POWER
at all. I have had dead batteries and even they had a sliver of power. I checked all the
fuses that I could see and they seemed fine. I have no idea about electrical systems
and how they work-I am decently mechanically inclined, but I am thinking maybe some
electrical control unit is gone.

2004 Infiniti G35 coupe, about 94,000 miles on it. Automatic 3.5 six cylinder.  I have
replaced the cam positioning sensor twice in the past. Other than that no problems
except standard brakes, tires, oil.

The car is sitting about 100 feet from my house, I couldn't even use the shifter to put it
in neutral and push it in front of my house.

How do I over-ride the shifter to get in neutral so I can get it towed?

112,245

Have you checked the battery voltage? If battery voltage was low already and the alternator was not putting out correctly due to loose belt the battery could have been running all electronics it's self and is dead now. If battery checks good check battery connections. They must be clean and tight. Also the negative battery connections on the frame and motor.

Not the battery. I didn't test it with a volt meter, but just connected jumper cables from another car running and not one change to anything. Connections are tight and clean.

Did you ever figure out the cause? I'm having the same issue now.