How do I change the transmission filter on a 2002 Hyundai Accent?

Asked by Jan 11, 2014 at 03:34 PM about the 2002 Hyundai Accent GS

The car is jumping gears, like it wants to be in overdrive, when I'm not pressing the gas more than normal. It rides at like 4 rpms when I'm only going 60. My brother checked the fluid, said it was not low but dark colored and suggested I change the filter and fluid.

...well you'd have to take it up and have a drain pan ready as you unscrew perhaps 12 bolts and get ready for a bit of residual fluid....perhaps take a little brake cleaner and a rag to clean off the remaining old fluid...take a look at the magnet in the pan (usually is one there) to see how many shreds and how much mud and crumbles are stuck to it, slide the old filter out and inspect...put the new filter in that....get 'er nice and clean... use a little spray adhesive on the pan lip before you put the gasket back on...wait fifteen minutes and ease it back with the dozen or so bolts in a criss-cross position tightening to less than One foot pound....evenly~ put the right amount of fluid back in...you could start with four...then look at the stick and put the level between the hash marks at the low mark~

....you might examine the vacuum soleniod(s) on that housing....bloated or cracked..these ordinary butyl rubber ones will leak and cause failures...insist on Silicone replacement hoses...take them one at a time...the renewed vacuum source will make the solenoids behave themselves~

I did all this and it is still skipping gears

My car dosent shift into the last gear when im around 60 miles per hour and it dosent do it until im in last gear and im changing fluid now and will post results later