towing capacity of Santa Fe without tow package

Asked by Jun 08, 2018 at 11:39 PM about the 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited FWD

I have a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited with V6. The manual says it has a
2000lb. towing capacity without tow package and 5000lb with package. I have
search high and low and cannot f\ind what the difference other than a hitch and
wiring. Does it have a different gear ratio or added cooling in trans or radiator?

259,095

The difference is probably both additional cooling capacity and a lower gear ratio. Look for 2013 specs for each model.

8,395

It could also include an additional smaller transmission cooler hooked inline between the factory radiator and the transmission.

530

The factory "towing package" is what Hyundai calls pre-wiring all the way to the rear left wheel (you still need to buy adapter) and transmission cooler (albeit in Hyundai cars it is transmission cooler/warmer). Problem here is that pre-wiring is for 4-pin wiring harness that is for trailers up to 2000lbs. Any trailer above 2000lbs must have its own electric brakes and hence brake controller in the tow car. Brake controller is NOT installed by the factory and to control electric brakes in the trailer one also need 7-pin round connector and hence factory pre-wiring is useless.

160

There’s an elegant solution for the brake controller “problem”. I bought the 2015 SF limited with the towing package and the 4 pin connector. In order to wire a 7 pin I needed one wire from a traditional dash controller to the hitch and one wire from the engine compartment to the controller. All this was solved by installing a remote controller that mounts on the trailer; The Tekonsha prodigy RF. The controller mounts on the trailer, the 7 pin connector mounts under the car without any additional wires from in front and uses the 20 amp power wire that Hyundai thoughtfully runs to the back. Benefits include no need to mount a controller at the driver location! The system works perfectly using only input from the brake light wiring. The “wireless “ feature is not used during any braking; wireless is only used to initially set brake sensitivity.

160

And by the way, the Santa Fe limited with tekonsha Rf controller pulled my 17’ Casita absolutely effortlessly.

530

Yeah, I must have missed the Tekonsha Prodigy RF and went the hardwired route for the brake controller. The cost really seems to be very comparable. I have paid around $500 parts and labor to have installed, but it was a very reputable installer (dealer recommended and they do installs for every single dealer in the area). It probably could have been closer to $350 if I shopped around, but did not want to take a chance not being it done right. Either way, what irks me the wrong way is that something like this should come from the factory already installed. I mean, if the manufacture is advertising 5000 lbs towing capacity and touts "towing package" then brake controller is mandatory. Just my two cents.

10

Juozas, where did you get your hitch/7 pin harness installed? I am having a tough time finding a shop in North Texas to do this.