my brakelights stay on after i have parked & shut off my 93 dodge spirit. the brake switch was changed but the problem still remains!!!! any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Asked by Apr 04, 2013 at 10:12 PM about the 1993 Dodge Spirit 4 Dr ES Sedan

3,035

try pulling up on the brake pedal ... PBN

3,035

If you unhook the plug connecting the switch to the harness do they go out ? if not you have a short somewhere

89,695

Check the switch adjustment. Do they go off when the engine is running? If the brake lights are on when you park, they might be on when you are driving.

i have replaced the switch under the brake pedal (i'm a mail carrier so i have a couple of "parts cars") with a switch that was compatible (& worked when i parked the car about 1 yr ago) and the tail lights r still saying on except now the passenger side bulb is out. i am also experiencing one headlight that keeps blowing within a month or two of replacement. could there be any connection? a common ground problem or something? just grasping @ straws & praying nothing major (or costly) is wrong. thanks for your help!

89,695

There's nothing that's common between the headlight and brake light except the voltage in the hot wire and the ground connection. Headlights won't blow out any sooner unless there is more than the recommended voltage going to them. -- Put your meter across the headlight bulb socket and check the voltage on both headlights. It should be the same.

Best Answer
89,695

When you have your meter out, check the brake light switch for power and proper operation.

thank you bunches! it's worth a try!