Why won't my starter work?

Asked by Jun 22, 2014 at 11:40 AM about the 1993 Dodge Dakota 2 Dr LE Extended Cab SB

I had my starter and battery tested at the shop and both passed. I checked all the
cables and wires for corrosion finding them clean and tight. Still, when I turn the
ignition, it only clicks. What's the problem? I tried to use a continuity tester on the
wires but I think the tool doesn't work. It flashed once and wouldn't work after. I tried it
on my other dodge - thinking that since it runs fine, the tester would work - and it still
wouldn't work. What can I do? Does the O'Reilly's starter test check for everything?

I can only say this ,it is one or the other,bad battery,or bad starter,

If you here a click and battery is good,starter.

I had an olds,starter quit at around 90000 miles. Certified Mech. Installed it only to find out it was a dud. Brand new,from nappa. BTW BATTERY terminals should have ➕&➖ Cables removed and cleaned with a wire brush. Also,check to make sure battery is securely fastened to base.Two pennies on the top of terminals,retards oxidation. Good luck!

Double check that your connections are good and clean. Also use multi meter to test wire going to starter solenoid it should show a good strong 12 volts when key is in the start position. Also check main large wire going to starter it should always have 12 volts showing on it. If both do and your negative battery cable to the frame and motor are clean and tight then replace starter it's bad.

There is a splice in the engine compartment that you should check. Its under the fuse box and wrapped in tape. Should be one red and white wire going to two or three other red and white wires. Its wrapped in tape. If the copper wires are turning or have turned powdery green and white you need to cut them, strip them back and re-splice them. Its recommended that you solder them but a wire nut works well. This is part of the trucks starting circuit. If it clicks but wont turn over 9 times out of 10 this is the issue. Check it BEFORE you replace your starter.

Its called "Splice 115". Theres pictures and repair guides out there just have to look it up. Causes a lot of headaches.