Overheating

10

Asked by Oct 08, 2013 at 08:38 PM about the 1997 Chrysler Sebring 2 Dr JX Convertible

My car keeps overheating after idling. I checked the overflow tank when cool and it was full
above the "full when hot" line. Pulled radiator cap and checked fluid, but had to add about
a half gallon. The car runs fine when moving, but overheats when idle for more than a few
minutes. Checked hoses and thermostat and they are fine. Any ideas??

105

Sounds like your fan isn't kicking on. Check your fuses and relays to start. If not could need a new fan.

290

This is a sign of the upper intake gasket failing. You are loosing coolant but you can't see it leaking onto the ground because it is likely burning off or dissipating. Another issue that would cause this is a failing head gasket.

10

The fan kicks on once it gets past the mid mark on the gauge. I emptied the overflow tonight (to the "full when cool" level), refilled the radiator, then ran it for about 20-25 minutes. I'm going to check it again in the morning and see what it looks like. Thanks for the help! I'll let you know what happens. Let's hope it's not the gasket. :-(

1,580

when the coolant heats and expands it pushes from the radiator to the tank and should go back when it cools. if the coolant doesn't stay full in the radiator their could be a leak letting it draw in air, like the intake gasket. possible small compression leak pushong air into the cooling system.run a pressure leakdown check on the cooling system and see if you can detect where the coolant goes.this is assuming you don't have a cap on the radiator itself. if you do this cap may be at fault not allowing the coolant back into the system and then ruuning hot.

30

I had an overheating problem with my 2006 Sebring Convertible too. These cars are notorious for getting vapor locks. The mechanic burped the car by removing the cap, starting car & letting the thermostat open, then release air by the bleeding air by using valve on top of the thermostat. I had this done first & no more problems! The problem occurs when adding water/antifreeze to car. I found proper steps for adding water/antifreeze: take cap off, let car run until thermostat opens up, then add water or antifreeze.