There are no buttons to connect Bluetooth for Prius 2009

Asked by Jun 06, 2015 at 08:57 PM about the 2009 Toyota Prius Base

I just got a used 2009 Prius from a dealer. I am trying to follow the manual that says to
press Info, then press telephone, etc. BUT when I press Info, there is no options for
"telephone". It only shows me three buttons, trip information, language, and screen
setting. none of those buttons lead to anything about bluetooth or phone. What do I do,
why is this happening?

90,715

The most locical thing is that it is not equipped with Bluetooth, if it is not in the menu then it is not equipped.

@tennisshoes But why does the manual says the car has bluetooth, and also near the steering wheel there are phone call buttons. How is this possible? The dealer pretty much sold me a car that doesnt have all its features then?

90,715

It is possible that there are different radio heads available in the same model of vehicle. Did you buy it from a Toyota dealer?

@tennisshoes I did buy it from a toyota dealer, they sell new and used cars.

90,715

Then go back there and see if there are different radio heads for your car, and they can also check using the VIN and tell you if it did come with Bluetooth, it is possible that it may have went bad and the previous owner just found a standard radio head and installed it.

yea I will go back tomorrow. I dont think there are other 2009 priuses to compare it to since i got it from the used car section. and I know the new priuses dont have the same radio head. thanks anyways, i'll get back to you

18,025

Yes, it would definitely depend upon the model of your Prius. Our car is also a 2009 and is package number 5, which is, one level down from the top of the line car. In addition to navigation, and upgraded radio, the car has a lot of extra features. I would say that the electronic controls are not as well documented in the owners manual, and the voice controls are impossible. Now to your question, you need to first pair your phone to the car. Go to information, its a button on the dash screen, next find telephone, look for the settings button on the screen. Select Bluetooth, make sure your phone is on Bluetooth before you do this. After you select and press Bluetooth on your screen, next look for the Register button, press that and it's going to look for your phone and give you a number to enter into your phone, so, get ready to do that fast. Once you enter that four digit number it will pair your phone and either give it a name or just call it Prius. The good news is this, once you've got it paired, the car will remember and every time you start your car with your phone on Bluetooth it will automatically advise you that your connected. Then, you can answer calls directly by pushing the button on the center screen that will illuminate with the incoming call. Also adjusing the volume, disconnecting etc. is easy. Also, you can pair another phone. If you do that, there's a button to "select phone", if you want to change phones, otherwise, leave it on yours. And, the audio quality of calls in the Prius are quite good! Our car with navigation integrated and I like it. I'm still trying to figure out the voice commands, a little more confusing and challenging, I don't like that. My 2010 Subaru Outback Limited was much easier to use for voice calling. When I asked our local Toyota dealership about voice commands, they just brisked and shrugged their shoulders in despair telling me that it's not the best feature of the 2009 model and suggested that a newer model would be easier. Didn't give me a lot of confidence that I could get this done quickly. I'm still going to try, but, mostly everything else about the car works all right. By the way, all of this information is on page 274 of your owner's manual. Good luck.

Best Answer

@markw1952 I dont know what package mines is. but when I press info, there is no button that says "telephone".

18,025

Then, you probably don't have Bluetooth. I imagine that you don't have navigation?

@markw1952 the thing is, why do i have a hangup/pickup phone buttons next to my steering wheel?

18,025

SO, LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT, when you push information , tell me exactly what do you see on the screen?

18,025

OK, here's the series of screens you should see in order, pictures are attached #1, from here press the information button on the left side on your console

18,025

After you see the prior screen push the information button and you'll see this,

18,025

From the settings screen look for "telephone "

18,025

Sorry, go back to settings and look for Bluetooth

18,025

Choose Bluetooth and look at this screen

18,025

OK, if you can't find any of these screens on your car , then the steering wheel just has a switch pre-defined on the wheel and it's non functional. You can always purchase a Bluetooth device to hook to you sun visor. GOOD LUCK.

@markw1952 I am not sure if you have more buttons on the side than I do, but this is the screen when I press INFO. There is no option of "telephone" or "bluetooth".

but somehow I have the phone buttons next to steering wheel, I attatched that also. I appreciate you putting lots of effort to helping me.

18,025

Please, mark my original answer to you as "best answer ". I figured out that you unfortunately don't have the upgraded technology package on your car. The telephone switch to answer calls in our Prius comes in two places, you can answer it on the screen or on the steering wheel. I see you have a switch just to the left of your steering wheel, but, it's probably just a switch that "could be activated ". I suppose that if you're interested, you could go to the dealership and see if they can modify your car. Or, consider the many different options for an after market solution. It's certainly better and more desirable to have the Bluetooth system through your car's audio system. How many miles do you have on your 2009?? Maybe it's time for a newer model? Really depends on your budget and how much you like your car. Here are some pictures of the inside of our dash, and you're going to see how different it looks. Like I said earlier, we got the package 5, and my advice to most people is, buy the car , new or used, with the options you really want or need, because its a bitch to try and add them on later, and in many cases, not worth it. Let's face it, if you're making car payments, again, used or new, what's a few extra bucks per day to get everything you want? You'll be happier making those payments if you like your car, otherwise, you're going to just curse the thing every time you jump in the car. I learned that a long time ago when I bought a new VW without A/C. I hated that car, finally put an after market air conditioning unit in, but, factory air is always better. Lafter, the car blew up, rebuilt the engine and transmission and finally got rid of that. Here are some pictures in the next three posts for you.

18,025

Another picture, first was the hard buttons to the left of the console screen, this one is to the right.

18,025

Finally, here's a picture of my steering wheel. Sorry for the angle, but, you can see what I'm talking about.

18,025

Hope all of this helps. Good luck. Toyota Prius is a great car.

Sorry I forgot to get back to you. So I went to the dealer, And they said that there is another method to setting up the bluetooth. I had to press the phone key down and connect it with my phone. The bluetooth works now, but It barely works when the car is in motion, which makes it redundant. I noticed this only once, and I also read some article on it. So I dont know if this is definite since i only got a call once when I was in the car. But again Thank You for spending much time helping me. I will definite vote you best answer.

I have the same as you had can plz tell step by step how you did plz.

I have the same problem as you had can you plz tell me step by step how you did plz

18,025

Kahbii-. Hi, I wrote the "best answer" above... follow these instructions. I still have my 2009 Toyota Prius, and would say that the electronics in this car are DEFINITELY not the strongest suit.. I've been trying for some time to get the car to respond to voice commands. The Toyota dealership told me and this was really unbelievable, that the electronics in the 2009 was not the greatest, and I should consider a new car!! That was NOT HELPFUL....I was very upset and cannot repeat it here, but, I'm sure you know what I mean....That being said though, the car has other merits... I'm able to connect my phone and answer calls, and I have navigation.... it's OK, but, I'm not thrilled for the price we paid., You either have the Blue Tooth features or you don't.... We purchased the package 4 car and it came with a lot of extras, navigation, Blue Tooth, enhanced radio, among other things..... check your system...and look at my previous answer above.

Thank you for your fast answer but Janvierd107 said he connectet to bluetooth but in another method i want to know how he did.

5

There are "3" Styles of the Radio; One is "Armrest w/charger plug & Aux" to connect audio through your CD Disk 1, "Bluetooth Only" no NAV, and All the above. For "Basic Radio" you could get "Interface Kit for iPod," from Toyota (installs through your glove box;, or if you really want "Bluetooth" that uses Radio "GTA" makes a really nice kit that sounds great!

18,025

Next time purchase the car with the 'native features' you want.

18,025

We have a 2009 Prius, package 5 with navigation , enhanced JBL audio and Bluetooth, yes, there's a button for that on the screen.

5

I still "Stick" with my answer. If you buy a "Used Prius" your options choices have been "Pre-Determined." Still "3rd party" manufacturers make (for around $40.00) a Bluetooth device that plugs into "AUX" port, and works with Radio, and Steering Wheel!

5

I'm moving back to Illinois, and restore a "Dymaxion Car Barn" find Bucky Fuller left!