i have a 1996 sl1 series automatic my transmission went out so i put a new one in now it shifts fine but it down shifts a gear around 55

Asked by Feb 15, 2014 at 09:53 AM about the 1996 Saturn S-Series 4 Dr SL1 Sedan

it will go through all gears and around 55 it will down shift a gear and go back up if I give it more gas it revs up louder without power please help me

Is this a new tranny or is this a junk yard one? Is your car a 4, 5, or 6 speed? Did someone possibly put in the wrong speed of transmission? More info please......

it's used from a friend. Automatic. no its the same year make and model of transmission as the one that was in mine it kicks its self out of overdrive

I would say take it to a transmission shop. I am not a transmission expert by any means. To me it sounds like there is something going on with the RPM shift ratio. It's like your ECU or whatever controls the shifting, was set up slightly different in your old transmission. You may have the same make and model as your buddy, but was his a six speed transmission and yours was a five speed? You may only need a chip or something to make it shift correctly. If your buddy still has the old car it came out of, you may want to get the VIN numbers and have someone cross check the information. Just a thought.