how do i over ride the security theif system on 1999 chevy cavalier to start it.

Asked by Dec 30, 2012 at 05:35 PM about the 1999 Chevrolet Cavalier 4 Dr STD Sedan

Car won't say anything when key is turned to start it, but when i try to start it from the starter it starts and shuts back
down.

65,995

Are you using a new key? If so it must be programmed into the car's computer to be recognized as correct for that specific car. With GMs "Passkey" system there is a "chip" in the head of the key. When new keys are made they must be added into the system or they won't start the car. HTH. -Jim

33,665

There is no chip in the keys head. Its a cavalier not a Mercedes. Your ignition switch is bad and its preventing your pass lock from working, and preventing the engine from cranking with the key. Replace the switch, not the lock cylinder. They stopped putting the little resistors in the key and put them in the lock cylinder but the ignition switch has to be good for it to work. If it was the security function itself then the car would atleast crank. My fiance owned a 2001 Sunfire which she lost the key for twice and we got a plain metal 99¢ key both times that worked fine. She wrecked it and now has a 99 which also has two 99¢ metal keys that both work fine.

65,995

It's called a "transponder" key. My Nephew's 2000 Grand Prix had them, as well as my Chevy S10 Pick Up. There is no visible "chip" on the key. My 2002Nephew's Impala did not have a transponder key because it was a retired police car it didn't have a security system. My Niece's '05 Impala does have a security system so hence the transponder key. HTH. -Jim

65,995

It's called a "transponder" key. My Nephew's 2000 Grand Prix had them, as well as my Chevy S10 Pick Up. There is no visible "chip" on the key. My 2002 Impala did not have a transponder key because it was a retired police car it didn't have a security system. My Niece's '05 Impala does have a security system so hence the transponder key. HTH. -Jim