Cigarette lighter

20

Asked by Jul 22, 2017 at 01:31 PM about the 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

I own a 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GT and the
cigarette lighter in the center console doesn't fit
any of my USB plugs, I don't know if it's because it's
not proper voltage or size but I'd like to know if
there's a way I could get it big enough and to 12v

75,345

My 2000 Grand Prix has a power outlet on the right side (passenger's side) of the console. Perhaps that's big enough, if you have one. I know it will accommodate my cell phone charger and portable air compressor. I've never actually tried to plug anything into the cigarette lighter socket. Also, on my 2000 model there's a power drop under the carpet, behind the glove compartment for police use. They all had it whether it was a police car or not. Mine, for example, was not. You can hook up a power port there and mount it at a convenient location in the car. It will be 12 VDC since the car's entire electrical system is 12 VDC. HTH. -Jim

20

Thanks for the reply, i have the power outlet on the passenger side i was just hoping i would be able to change or fix the one in the center console

75,345

You're welcome. I never thought about the two being different sizes. Interesting. You can probably enlarge the lighter socket hole with a file or similar tool to accept the larger power port socket. You'll have 12 VDC at the lighter plug so you'll be ok there. If you have to change the plug that will go onto the new socket just remember that the center stud on the power port is positive (+) and the outer shell is negative (-). HTH. -Jim

4,645

I don't believe they are different sizes. I have the same car and plug accessories into them both all the time. Take a closer look at yours. I'm guessing its broken or there's something jammed in it that's preventing you from using it.

20

I figured out that the cigarette socket is not deep enough for most accessories. I bought another one that is longer/deeper that should work

75,345

Awesome! Thanks for letting us know! -Jim