Rear suspension

105

Asked by Feb 07, 2015 at 10:39 PM about the 2001 Lincoln Town Car Executive

Should the rear airbags deflate after I turn off engine? I recently changed the rear shocks
and now the rear end drops when I turn the engine off. Pumps up when I start, and there
seems to be no leaks cause the pump turns off and I don't hear it going off and on while
driving.

The automatic levelier turns on air the only thing that their I'd a leak in one bag sometimes you not hear it but if car pumps them up then you some how got a leak in bag

47,675

I have a Mercury Marauder with the exact same air ride system. The bags should stay pumped up. If the bags are deflating you have a leak somewhere. My air pump briefly comes on in the morning for a few seconds and that could be due to the lower air temperature in the bags in the early AM. Colder air will have less pressure in a given volume than warmer air.

105

Well, before I changed the shocks, the rear stayed pumped up even after turning off ignition. Now they pump up when I start, they stay pumped up while driving, I dont think theres a leak because I would hear and feel it when the compressor is running. Only when I turn off the ignition do the bags deflate. I'm worried that the bags life will shorten due to the constant inflating/deflating

47,675

I wonder if you have a leak or a bad air bag solenoid? My Mercury stays pumped up.

If the bags go down when you turn key off then you have a leak or your pump supposed to turn on and pump them up and if does after about two three days parked the battery goes dead so you have leak when you jacked up car if not turn off air you could have damaged bags

105

Yeah, I guess its a leak, instead of turning ignition off, Ieft it on accesories and saw that it released the air about halfways and then it held for a while even after turning keys all the way and removing them. I guess its a slow leak overnight cause by morning its all the way down. Thanks for your help!!!

105

By the way, is the leveler adjustable?

47,675

The leveler is adjustable by slightly physically moving it, but if the car pumps up and bleeds off later the problem is NOT the leveler. www.suncoreindustries.com has some good deals on repair and replacement parts for the air ride system in these cars.