Repairs underway

100

Asked by Apr 23, 2013 at 08:15 AM about the 1972 Volkswagen Beetle

Some of the regulars here have asked for updates on my "project" 1972 VW Convert that we did not know was a project when we bought it. I met an old timer locally here who has been owning, driving and repairing VW Beetles since 1970. He's an amazing new freind.  Today Jim Garrett and I disconnected the battery, jacked up the car and put it on jackstands, disconnected all the wiring to the engine, disconnected the oil delivery to the aftermarket spin on oil filter and return from the aftermarket oil cooler, disconnected the fuel line, unbolted the engine, jacked the car even higher, dropped the engine on a large floor jack, removed the clutch housing and clutch, checked the throw-out bearing, removed the flywheel, checked the flywheel neck for damage, no sign of a groove worn into it, removed the worn out main rear seal, used a glaze-buster on the clutch face of the flywheel, cleaned up the parts, installed a new rear main seal, and O ring, replaced the flywheel. Jim being an accomplished VW mechanic, we did all this in about three hours. I am amazed!

223,135

Looks like fun. Great thing you have someone who can help and share in your passion.

19,485

built as a peoples car! something we need again today! [wont happen]

93,725

Great work Mikey! It looks like we have a new VW Beeltle Guru in the making.

25,005

Good to hear, Mikey...glad this is working out well for you! "From eBay Motors mishap to Fully Restored VW" (may want to write book on this "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade" story! :) By the way, did the eBay Seller actually come through and provide some $$ for your repair costs as he promised?? IF not, maybe you can "force his hand" via contacting eBay (no harm in trying). Best of Luck to you on the rebuild!