I feel very unsafe without a spare tire or donut tire for my 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid and I understand I cannot buy one. What do I do?

30

Asked by Sep 01, 2014 at 05:51 PM about the 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

My daughter had a blowout in my 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid. I was not told that It did
not come with a spare tire. We live in Arizona and it is very hot in the summer and this
heat kills, this is a very serious safety matter. I like to take long trips, but now I won't
go until I get a spare. It it irresponsible of Honda not to include a spare tire or donut
tire, especially in a family car.  It should definitely be an option, even if I put it in back
seat. SAFETY FIRST!

60,295

If you bought it new,there should have been one in it.If you bought it used,previous owner may have removed.None the less,replace it.

30

No, I bought it new and they don't come with a spare tire of any kind, instead there is a little air compressor. Also there is not a delegated space for tire in trunk. In the showroom, Honda should put a SIGN where the spare tire normally is to let us dummies know that they don't come with a spare. Buyer Beware!

60,295

Well,yes i agree with you,but when you say hybrid,they look at it as saving gas,and not thinking of the customer sitting beside the road with no spare.

60,295

Yes you can buy a spare for it,but the question is where would you put it,

130

I bought a new donut spare for my 2014 Accord hybrid on eBay. I removed the foam tray in the trunk, and there is a large wheel shaped well where you can easily fit the tire, maybe even a full sized one. I packed odds and ends around and in it, it easily held everything I had in the tray except the compressor. To remove tray: gently bend the side closest to the rear of the car until you can tip it up and clear the plastic lip. Continue tipping up then pull it back. Once removed you have lost the support for the access panel, so you will need to devise something. The easiest fix is to cut some appropriate sized slats.

50

I was reviewing the owner's manual for the 2017 Honda Accord Hybrid and noticed on page 176 under the "Cargo Section" a warning to not carry a temporary spare in the trunk because a severe collision to the rear of the car could cause damage to the hybrid battery and cause a leak of flammable electrolytes. This was surprising because the marketing release by Honda states that the car is delivered with a temporary spare. This is a significant safety issue for me. Given the warning in the owner's manual, I cannot buy a car that strongly warns against keeping a temporary spare in the trunk. My current vehicle had a blowout from a pot hole (2 years ago) and my prior truck had a blow out once (7 years ago). I will not own a car that does not come delivered with a temporary or full-sized spare. To have an owner's manual specifically include a warning to not store a temporary spare is quite disconcerting given that I have a 7 year old that would be sitting in the backseat center with a battery full of highly flammable electrolytes just on the other side of the seat.

10

I have an Accord 2017 hybrid and found out sadly it did not have a spare of any kind. My wife hit a piece of road debris which punctured the side wall of the rear left tire. In the rain I went out to change the tire off a busy interstate and NO spare. Arrrgggg!!!! I had to call a tow truck. Now I find they do not make even sell a donut size spare for this vehicle. I bought this car for long road trips. Now I do not even want to travel out of town. I should have payed closer attention before I purchased this vehicle. My bad but I simply assumed there was at least a donut available. An expensive lesson on paying attention to details like a spare tire.