I feel very unsafe without a spare tire or donut tire for my 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid and I understand I cannot buy one. What do I do?

50

Asked by Sep 01, 2014 at 05:51 PM about the 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

My daughter had a blowout in my 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid. I was not told that It did
not come with a spare tire. We live in Arizona and it is very hot in the summer and this
heat kills, this is a very serious safety matter. I like to take long trips, but now I won't
go until I get a spare. It it irresponsible of Honda not to include a spare tire or donut
tire, especially in a family car.  It should definitely be an option, even if I put it in back
seat. SAFETY FIRST!

75,415

If you bought it new,there should have been one in it.If you bought it used,previous owner may have removed.None the less,replace it.

50

No, I bought it new and they don't come with a spare tire of any kind, instead there is a little air compressor. Also there is not a delegated space for tire in trunk. In the showroom, Honda should put a SIGN where the spare tire normally is to let us dummies know that they don't come with a spare. Buyer Beware!

75,415

Well,yes i agree with you,but when you say hybrid,they look at it as saving gas,and not thinking of the customer sitting beside the road with no spare.

75,415

Yes you can buy a spare for it,but the question is where would you put it,

280

I bought a new donut spare for my 2014 Accord hybrid on eBay. I removed the foam tray in the trunk, and there is a large wheel shaped well where you can easily fit the tire, maybe even a full sized one. I packed odds and ends around and in it, it easily held everything I had in the tray except the compressor. To remove tray: gently bend the side closest to the rear of the car until you can tip it up and clear the plastic lip. Continue tipping up then pull it back. Once removed you have lost the support for the access panel, so you will need to devise something. The easiest fix is to cut some appropriate sized slats.

180

I was reviewing the owner's manual for the 2017 Honda Accord Hybrid and noticed on page 176 under the "Cargo Section" a warning to not carry a temporary spare in the trunk because a severe collision to the rear of the car could cause damage to the hybrid battery and cause a leak of flammable electrolytes. This was surprising because the marketing release by Honda states that the car is delivered with a temporary spare. This is a significant safety issue for me. Given the warning in the owner's manual, I cannot buy a car that strongly warns against keeping a temporary spare in the trunk. My current vehicle had a blowout from a pot hole (2 years ago) and my prior truck had a blow out once (7 years ago). I will not own a car that does not come delivered with a temporary or full-sized spare. To have an owner's manual specifically include a warning to not store a temporary spare is quite disconcerting given that I have a 7 year old that would be sitting in the backseat center with a battery full of highly flammable electrolytes just on the other side of the seat.

50

I have an Accord 2017 hybrid and found out sadly it did not have a spare of any kind. My wife hit a piece of road debris which punctured the side wall of the rear left tire. In the rain I went out to change the tire off a busy interstate and NO spare. Arrrgggg!!!! I had to call a tow truck. Now I find they do not make even sell a donut size spare for this vehicle. I bought this car for long road trips. Now I do not even want to travel out of town. I should have payed closer attention before I purchased this vehicle. My bad but I simply assumed there was at least a donut available. An expensive lesson on paying attention to details like a spare tire.

40

I drive my '17 Accord hybrid and rely on my ASA membership if there is a tire issue. Worthwhile to me in order to be getting 50 mpg on some trips. Also, this car replaced my '16 Toyota Camry hybrid which was totaled when I was rear ended by a drunk driver. I was nearly killed and anything in what used to be my trunk ended up smashed against the driver and passenger seats. I now take comfort having no spare, tire iron and jack in my trunk.

110,345

Carry a good tire repair kit and a good 12v air compressor.

10

I have the 17 Hybrid Touring. Just the pump inside with nothing under the tray. However, my car also comes with a lifetime powertrain warranty that includes free tire replacement and rotation for 7 years should a blowout occur. They also provide roadside assistance.

30

I have a 2014 Honda Accord Touring Hybrid with no spare tire. During the first year of ownership, I had a blow out caused by damaged sidewall on the Hudson River Parkway in Manhattan which is a "franchise road". On a franchise road, the only service you can get is the one who owns the servicing franchise for the road. No Honda Service, no AAA Service no insurance servicer allowed.. Whatever Honda supplied for tire repair could not fix the tire. As Honda supplied no spare, I had to be flat-bedded to a tire place in the Bronx and purchase a new tire. Total cost was about $ 250.00. Fortunately, I had taken out a tire and rim policy from the dealer at the time of the lease and was fully reimbursed. Nonetheless, the process took over 2 1/2 hours. My lease now has come due and I wanted to get the 2018 version of my car which has a brand new styling with the battery moved forward under the rear seats now providing normal trunk space with room for a spare. However, nobody at the dealers know whether the 2018 provides a spare. The rival to the Accord is the Camry which went through a restyling on their 2018 model. They also moved the battery and provide a new trunk space as well as a donut spare. I wanted to get the Honda but Honda had not provided the dealer with info on the spare and the cras will not be available until later this month. As aresult, I replaced the Honda with the Camry.

10

Don buy a Honda Accord Hybrid. Wolfcrick, Corpus Chridti, TC

50

Dear Honda Manufacturers: Thank you for decades of reputable cars. Unfortunately, you've undermined your world-class status as a company by telling consumers that no spare is a fuel-saving strategy. Your loyal customers see through this for what it is; a money-saving strategy. Good bye, Honda. Hello, Toyota.

40

We didn't realize until after buying the 2014 Accord hybrid that it didn't have a spare and whatever Honda's reasoning, I think it was a bad move for Accord owners. I have been researching this issue and the good news is that I figured out that a full size spare will mostly fit if you take out the useless foam and fabric box. But it will push up the top square cover by around an inch. An emergency "donut" style wheel would definitely fit flush with room to spare but I'm going to buy a full size wheel. Here's my reasoning on full size spare over a donut: the donut only gets you 75 or so miles, and top speed of 55 mph. We do lots of long trips where that limitation would be a major inconvenience. A donut can't be used on the front of the car so if a front tire blows out, you will have to move a back wheel to the front, so more roadside time and work versus a full size that works on any location. A full size spare is always better than a donut if it will fit, and in the Accord, it will mostly fit in that wheel well. Don't buy a jack from Honda, they will charge $113 and you can get an equally good piston cylinder style jack from any auto parts store for around $25 (and get a tire iron). Get the wheel and tire aftermarket as well to save money. We're going with aluminum since it's lighter and roughly same price as spare-style steel wheel

50

Love my '15 Accord Hybrid. Unfortunately, I won't be buying another one. The operative question is, "Would lack of a spare tire preclude me from buying another car without one?" The answer: "DEFINITELY."

20

Sorry folks, no spare tire in the 2018 hybrid. Looks at the press release under "Space-Saving Spare Tire": http://news.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx ?id=9938-en

With people more and more concerned about gas mileage, spare tires are being removed from more and more new vehicles. Some manufacturers give you the option to purchase a spare tire mounting kit (I know Acura’s do) but this is unfortunately the way the auto industry is going to lessen weight. This is why many cars now come with roadside assistance for the length of your manufacturer warranty.