How to determine the worth of Cosworth

Asked by Apr 21, 2015 at 01:36 PM about the 1976 Chevrolet Vega

I am trying to determine how much a non-running, unrestored Cosworth that has been sitting in a shed in a pasture FOR YEARS is worth.  Can I get some ideas or direction?  I do not have pictures but can get them if that will help.

555

No detailed description of condition, and no photos: based on what you've provided, it's worth somewhere between $500 and $50,000. Yes, photos would help...

235

Yes, photos definitely help. Prices will depend on how much has deteriorated because of the extended sitting. Fuel system can be extensive - from the fuel tank all the way to the injectors. Vehicle condition is the other factor in value. Some common places of deterioration are of concern - starting from the battery box to what's missing in the engine compartment, interior, etc. The better the condition, obviously, will factor into the condition. Paint probably is irrelevant at its age, but rust is. There are some common rust areas, and depending on the location of the car some are worse than others. Body condition - is is bashed/smashed up? Are all the exterior parts there? Is the car original condition or modified (carbs over EFI, etc.). As you can see it is complicated. The previous poster was pretty much on the money - the spread ($500 - $50K) is connected to much of the above - as is those in between those figures. I've taken one off a person for free (he said "it's taken by xxxx date or going to crusher" - of course I took it). Even one in so bad condition is worth something to the right buyer as a parts car (hate when one goes that way.). I've seen some on eBay obviously being taken apart and sold that way - individually many parts are worth a lot. Hope that helps. Tom