how do I troubleshoot a fuel problem for a 79 mgb? I replaced the fuel pump but not getting fuel out of the tank to the carb-I have 4-5 gal of fuel in the tank

Asked by Aug 17, 2012 at 12:36 PM about the 1979 MG MGB

I seem to  but be getting power to the pump but if I disconnect the line out of the pump no fuel comes out when I try to start. The tank, sending unit, pump, fuel lines from tank and gas is new.

5,235

Test the pump off the car to make sure it's working, you should be able to hear it ticking when you hook it up to the power and it should provide low pressure fuel flow. If it's not pumping you might want to check the points on the pump (if you have the original SU pump that is) and check the polarity (SU pumps come in positive and negative earth). Next make sure the in and out lines are hooked up to the pump correctly or you might be pumping the fuel back into the tank. Apply vacuum to the fuel pipe and make sure you get fuel through the sending unit feed pipe.