2002 Mazda Protege5 User Reviews

Have you driven a 2002 Mazda Protege5?
Rank this car

Displaying 1 - 10 of 36 2002 Mazda Protege5 reviews.

Overall:

Miata In Wagon = Protege 5 — I have written reviews on Edmund.com so I make this brief: if you think the car lacks speed, have the computer reprogramed, add K&N cold air intake and add Megna Flow Turbo exhaust, and now you have a car that has more than enough power in the low and high end to match its cornering abilities. Original clutch still and only things recently like new ignition switch, fuel pump sensor (burned out) and water pump at 80,000 miles. Now that is a dependable car. Car sounds great and though I'm sure it's still not that fast, it feels so and always has been fun to drive daily. I prefer driving it daily over my 2007 Mazda Speed 3! But if I want speed, then it's the MS3 which is faster than the current version due to gearing and weight. Both great cars for different reasons. UPDATE MAY 2015 ... I bought a new 2014 Mazda 3 to replace the 2002 model when I reached 235,000 miles. MISTAKE: I had to do some maintenance at 235,000 ... new clutch at 225,000, replaced EGR from junk yard, new air conditioner compressor. Was concerned about electrical problems so I sold it for $4,500. Guy who bought it 6 months ago drives it daily for computing to work ... 60 or miles a day and he loves it. No problems. I regret selling him the car. Even though the Mazda 3 was on Car and Drivers Best 10 Buy list for 2014 and 2015, the car never drove like the PR5 ... Cruiser/Touring vs sport car feel. Also, 6th gear in Mazda 3 had no juice to it and had to down shift to 5th going up the Grapevine ... so, I got lucky and bought at an auction a donated 2003 PR5 with 136,000 miles. No salvage but real title from previous owners. All I did was changed all the fluids, belts and real brake pads. Bought the car for $1400!!!! Only added a cold air filter on this car and I'm very happy again. Sport car fun car with 30 mpg on hwy!!! I sold the 2014 Mazda 3 after owning it for only 6 months ... very good car but NOT the sports car FEEL .... And I already know the reliability of the PR5 but time will tell because I'm not the original owner. I expect another 100,000 miles on the car and I've already driven 8,000 miles in 5 months ... NO PROBLEMS at all!!! UPDATE NOVEMBER 2015 Was notified that my review has been read by more than 2,000 people which is unbelievable and was asked more feedback. Well, the car now has 156,000 miles with absolutely no problem. Been driving too much going back and forth to Northern and Southern Cal. This 2003 model has been flawless with no problems. Bought new tires after the used ones that came with the car gave me 17,000 miles. I bought another Mazda .... 2006 Speed 6 to compliment business trips ... car in transit as I write so can't tell you the reliability of this car. Most reviews say reliable but other say many problems but from what problems sounds hard core driver. Plan to keep this PR5 forever with maintenance because haven't found a car as much fun and easy to drive on a daily basis. Can't tell you how reliable car is if in cold weather or used to drive only in town. But for me both the 2002 and 2003 PR5 I bought has served me for 255,000 miles.

Pros: Dependable, great in corning, looks, good gas mileage

Cons: None after 220,000 miles

Protege5

Looking for a Used Protege5 in your area?

CarGurus has 117 nationwide Protege5 listings and the tools to find you a great deal.

Overall:

Zoom Zoom — It is simply fun to drive. Tight corners, aggressive gearing, and low to the ground. Not great for baby car seats or driving adults in the back seats. As the car aged, it got a little louder on the highway too.

Pros: Fun to drive.

Cons: Not great in the snow.

Overall:

My Mazda Protege 5 — First off, it is rated 4.8 stars out of 5 on Edmunds! They only had the car for two years, very rare and popular. also if you read the reviews, you read how people regret selling their car. The stick much sportier, and a lot more fun! Better gas too! if you drive it right

Pros: Too many to list!
Perfect balance of power and fuel economy!

Cons: Parts are a smidge more than a Toyota or Honda, but way less than BMW, American or any other car!  still Japanese, inexpensive to drive!

Overall:

Mazda's Little Hustler — The lil red cargo rocket has been my favorite Mazda of the four I've owned. It did all I ever asked of it, from hauling three huge kayaks to puddle jumping through Northwest weather. It had great steering, brakes, leather(if you're into that - ooh, kinky) and hauled everything I ever tried to fit in it. Overall I recommend this car enthusiastically.

Pros: The lil red cargo rocket has been my favorite Mazda of the four I've owned. It did all I ever asked of it, from hauling three huge kayaks to puddle jumping through Northwest weather. It had great steering, brakes, leather(if you're into that - ooh, kinky) and hauled everything I ever tried to fit in it.

Cons: The engine was wee under-powered. You had to maintain a fairly high rev line to wring all the horses out of it. It also didn't do to well in snow. I spun a full 360 on more than one occasion. But that's just me.

Overall:

Nice Looking Sporty Car With Great Handeling. — This car has lots of potential for after market upgrades. It's a great looking car that handles more like a sports car than a wagon. Also has lots of upgrade potential. Also has a lot of room in the back with the seats folded down.

Pros: Nice looking sporty car with great handeling.

Cons: Rear wheel wells rust.

Overall:

Good Starter Car For Someone Who Wants Great Mpg And Is A Backyard Mechanic Or Knows One. — Great fuel economy, handling and pickup. Practical cargo storage with rear hatch. Good car for backyard mechanic or for someone who knows one. Was expensive to repair with dealer. Had problems with EGRValve and brakes. Good looking car. Silver, best color.

Pros: The car has been dependable, fun to drive with good handling and pickup, great for cargo storage with rear hatch and best of all over 30mpg fuel economy.

Cons: Repairs with dealer have tended to be expensive, EGR valve replaced twice. I've done the brakes myself, difficult. Several windows switches have problems.

Overall:

Silver Bullet — Been to four states and I've owned it since 2009 . Few trips by myself and a few with others. Love my bullet gets me where ever I need to go. AC was fixed last year and new struts the year before and brakes also. I grill a lot and everything fits in one trip

Pros: Fun to drive

Cons: Small

Overall:

Very Very Nice Car — Just got the car not that long ago.But i think its the best car i have ever owned in my life.I will drive this car till the wheels fall off of it i plan on buying one more soon..I tell all my friends if there looking for a used car the find a mazda 5

Pros: Rides and looks good

Cons: Little slow

Appearance:
Overall:

Works As Good As It Looks. — Seems to get about 44 MP Imperial G @ about 98 kilometers per hour (cruise on).. I think it is an attractive 4 door car. Rear lift gate supports don't last. I'm OK with the car especially since mounting 195 - 60r 15 Triple Tread tires, they improved the general feel a great deal from the smaller tires it had when I bought it used.

Pros: Its utility.

Cons: The lift gate supports but no big deal.

Appearance:
Overall:

Great Car For The Money...fun & Value All Rolled Into One — This car is fun to drive. It handles well. A lot of torque gets you out there. A good driver can do a lot with it. It has been relatively cheap to maintain. The only things I have done to it was add wheels and exhaust. It came with a cold air intake. I've replaced wear items...Tires, brakes, oil, timing belt, water pump, belts, & clutch. Gas mileage is about average 28 mpgs. I just enjoy driving it daily.

Pros: Fun, handling, comfortable ride

Cons: None

Displaying 1 - 10 of 36 2002 Mazda Protege5 reviews.

2003 Mazda Protege5 Reviews

Zoom! Zoom! By Screen245

This is my mothers car. She loves the look, comfort, utility, build quality, gas mileage, performance, and handling. It is just plain fun to drive. I would recommend it to anyone who is in need of a g... Read More

Love It! By amh16

I love this car. It is the first car I have owned and I still love it. Super fun to drive, looks great, can fit SO much stuff in it. I highly recommend this car to anyone who enjoys driving! Read More

Cars compared to 2002 Mazda Protege5People researching a 2002 Mazda Protege5 contacted a dealer about

Protege5

Looking for a Used Protege5 in your area?

Have you driven a 2002 Mazda Protege5?
Rank your car →