1989 Jeep Wrangler User Reviews

Have you driven a 1989 Jeep Wrangler?

Displaying 1 - 10 of 16 1989 Jeep Wrangler reviews.

1989 Jeep Wrangler Review
says:
I love this jeep. Plenty of power from the AMC 4.2 I6. I am convinced it had/has more power than was said it had from the factory (112 hp and 210 ft lbs torque) because my 4.3 v6 190 hp s10 didnt feel like it had as much power. Classic jeep cool factor. Dont get why so many people hated on the square headlights, they work a lot better than round ones. Off road capabilty is unmatched, not much can beat a jeep in the respect. Suprisingly tough Peugeot 5 speed manual gear box thats mated to a 4.10 axle ratio means you can use the power of the 4.2 very efficiently. Buyers beware of lifts and big tires on stock axles and drivetrain as this definitely reduces reliability and gets expensive. Best to buy one that is stock or that you know has been customized properly.
vs1998 Chevrolet S-10
  • Cargo Capacity
  • Family Car
  • Value
  • Would Buy
Power Ranked 1998 Chevrolet S-10 better.
"The 5 speed manual uses the 4.2 I6 power very well on the jeep. The 4 speed auto on the s10 just doesnt have enough gears to use the 4.3 v6 power efficiently."
Handling Ranked 1998 Chevrolet S-10 better.
"Do i really gotta answer this? S10 has independent front suspension (kinda), end of story."
Looks/Style Ranked 1998 Chevrolet S-10 worse.
"Neither looks bad, but the s10 just cant compete with a lifted jeep on 33s."
Front Seats Ranked 1998 Chevrolet S-10 better.
"The s10s seats hugged and formed to my body better and were more adjustable. The cloth material in the s10 was very pleasant to the touch and certainly better than the jeeps."
Back Seats Ranked 1998 Chevrolet S-10 worse.
"Basically nonexistent in the s10 so had to give it to the jeep. Neither vehicle is one you would want to buy if youre looking for rear seat comfort and space."
Cargo Capacity Ranked 1998 Chevrolet S-10 better.
"S10 has a bed, jeep doesnt."
Family Car Ranked 1998 Chevrolet S-10 worse.
"Gave this to the jeep because it actually has a real back seat. Neither is well suited for a family with more than 1 child."
Value Ranked 1998 Chevrolet S-10 better.
"Jeeps hold their value ridiculously well even if theyve rotted into the ground. Good for resale but bad for getting a cheap deal on one in nice shape, risky paying less than $4,000 for one. The jeep is the cooler of the two but the S10 is more reliable and better on gas and repair costs are hilariously cheap. I hit a tree going about 35 with mine and it only cost $200 to replace the front bumper, lower valence, grille, all lights in front left, headlight bezels and a radiator support. Wasnt even worth using the insurance. A positive on both vehicles is you can find any part youd ever need for them very easily."
Would Buy Ranked 1998 Chevrolet S-10 worse.
"I love the off road capability and the cool factor of the jeep. Basically any vehicle with a manual trans is gonna win over one with an auto for me. You really have to own a jeep to understand why it wins over the s10. As they say, its a jeep thing."
Wrangler

Looking for a Used Wrangler in your area?

CarGurus has 18,820 nationwide Wrangler listings starting at $2,990.

1989 Jeep Wrangler 4WDReview
Overall:

Awesome — This is the funnest vehicle to own in my opinion. A must have for the outdoorsy type! I love taking the Jeep camping, off roading, or even just for a joy ride. I enjoy working on mechanical work nearly as much as I enjoy the ride.

Pros: Funnest toy ever - nothing better than spring time in the Jeep

Cons: You buy a Jeep with the anticipation of working on them. Needless to say, she has her good days and her bad days. Low gas mileage and cold in the winter

1989 Jeep WranglerReview
Overall:

Fun Toy — I bought it as a fixer upper toy and have enjoyed every minute of it. I love the way it looks now and the feeling of freedom driving it with the top down/off. I wish it had a litle more power and got better gas mileage but I wouldn't take double what I gave for it.

Pros: Looks, fun toy, tough vehicle

Cons: fuel economy,not a family vehicle, uncomfortable for a long ride

1989 Jeep Wrangler 4WDReview
Overall:

Very Clean Older Jeep — We had alot of fun with this jeep My son and I fixed it up for him it was a fun father so project. The jeep was well maintained we added a 2.5 inch lift and new bfg we also rebuilt the motor which has about 2ooo on it.

Pros: Very fun jeep to drive and play in

Cons: not really big enough for family 4cyl under powered

Off-Road:
Overall:

Love It — My jeep has the original 4.2L engine in it. It was a 5spd but we changed it to an auto for my kids to drive. Overall my jeep is good on gas and looks good too. It still has the original decals on it from the factory. We put a 4" suspension lift in it and has 32" BFG mud terrian tires.

Pros: the look and fell of it, makes me happy and carefree when driving topless

Cons: The only thing that is wrong is no cup holders

Appearance:
Overall:

Amazing — i love my wrangler. It is carborated so it doesnt start when its cold. When off road nothing can challenge patches, I built him to perform! This car is super fun to drive. Especially when you take the doors and top off!

Pros: its a jeep

Cons: none

Appearance:
Overall:

Jeep — I love this vehicle with all of my loving heart!!!!! it is so amazing, and can handle any trail. i love having it in the garage (even though it isnt actually in the garage) it is still an amazing vehicle!!!!!!!

Pros: Everything!!!!!!

Cons: no radio :(

Appearance:
Overall:

Wrangler — I owned it very briefly. It was lifted 3.5 inches with 33" tires. First week of driving I gave it too much throttle resulting in the rear axle breaking. I would recommend upgrading the rear axle if lifting a jeep.

Pros: Small, quick, classic style, very manageable, rugged

Cons: Mostly driven by cheerleaders, small, makes you want to offroad more which means it costs more

Appearance:
Overall:

Funny — Acceleration was good for a 4x4 car, even braking and handling. This car as every American car it needs a visit to the workshop on a monthly basis. For the appearance, it has a great design specially when convertible It consumes a lot of Gas which was a disaster. it is a funny car specially during the summer season.

Pros: Design

Cons: Gas consumption

Appearance:
Overall:

No Name Yet. — she has a lot of low end torque which makes the acceleration pretty slow, but its not like im trying to race over boulders or anything. the fun factor is VERY high. if you love the outdoors youll love a jeep.

Pros: fun toy for wheelin

Cons: its a jeep. she breaks often

Displaying 1 - 10 of 16 1989 Jeep Wrangler reviews.

2015 Jeep Wrangler Reviews

Wife Loves This Thing By 911finder

Love to haul the kayak and bikes. take the roof and doors off and hit the town or back woods. Everyone loves it. Wish it came with a back up sensor. The dark saddle trim is perfect with the black c... Read More

2014 Jeep Wrangler Reviews

Great Fun Car By Joellepat

Love the car, glad I had the opportunity to drive one. Just a real feel good car :-) Up high and easy to drive, it can snow, rain, sun shine, the car is ready and so the driver. The top can be down in... Read More

Smooth Ride By gmarcz

Black paint Doors 2 Soft top convertible Passenger seats 4 City economy17 (Est) mpg Highway economy21 (Est) mpg I am amazed at how solid and smooth the ride is- This vehicle is easy to drive, has a t... Read More

2013 Jeep Wrangler Reviews

Amazing By Brett

I love everything about this car. I'm still in the process of building it, but it'll be about another 10 grand before I'm close to the finished look. In the mean time it'll be garaged while I save mon... Read More

Beast! By HardToughPlay

Raise it up. Put bigger grippy tires on it. Add a wench and some awesome lights. Outfit it with the images you want. Smile when the guys on the trail single you out for the best looking and functi... Read More

2012 Jeep Wrangler Reviews

2012 Wrangler Sport By enlread

One of my favorite vehicles. There are few things like driving with the top and doors off of a quick vehicle with a manual transmission. How driving should be. Sure, it's basically a two-seater and ha... Read More

Fun To Drive By Jp2550

Overall I love driving this car especially in the summer with top and doors off. Handles great in the snow in the winter as well. Only thing for me is I would like to get the 4 door unlimited as carg... Read More

2011 Jeep Wrangler Reviews

Go Anywhere Escape Plan. By Zachary

I wish there was a few more inches behind the front seats. The overall vehicle has improved greatly over the previous body style but the 3.8 is the worst motor ever. The ride and handling is amazing... Read More

It's A Jeep By dssjwood

Compared to the older jeeps, the 2011 is much smoother and has more power and speed. The 2011 allows you to set your speed at 65 on highways the jeep is able to maintain the speed without driving up t... Read More

Cars compared to 1989 Jeep WranglerPeople researching a 1989 Jeep Wrangler contacted a dealer about

Wrangler

Looking for a Used Wrangler in your area?

CarGurus has 18,820 nationwide Wrangler listings starting at $2,990.

Have you driven a 1989 Jeep Wrangler?