1966 Chevrolet Corvair User Reviews

1966 Chevrolet Corvair Top Comparisons

Users ranked 1966 Chevrolet Corvair against other cars which they drove/owned. Each ranking was based on 9 categories. Here is the summary of top rankings.

1966 Chevrolet Corvair vs:

Have you driven a 1966 Chevrolet Corvair?

Displaying all 7 1966 Chevrolet Corvair reviews.

1966 Chevrolet CorvairReview
    Overall:

Nice-handling, Slick Looking Classic Chevy — I currently am on my second Corvair (also had a '69 Monza coupe) and these cars can't be beat if you're looking for a reliable, economical classic car that handles like Corvette, gets gas mileage like a Falcon, looks like a miniature Impala, and rides and brakes better than a Chevelle. Working on the car is as easy as it get, and virtually every part is available from Corvair vendors. I'd recommend the Late models (1966-69) models for better safety features and the Corvette rear suspension. Also, the Late models are all hardtops or convertibles, no sedans were even available, and they have the Coke bottle profile the resembles a '67 Camaro. These cars are unique in that they have an air-cooled, rear-mounted aluminum-block "boxer" Six, with your choice of automatic or manual transmission, air conditioning, and other deluxe options that make it fun to drive. Take one of these on the highway and watch everyone turn and smile while you pass them!

Pros: Slick looking, low-slung classic car 1960s styling at a bargain-basement price to own and maintain.

Cons: Exhaust system and engine compartment must be kept clean and sealed to prevent dangerous fumes from entering the car through the heater.

1966 Chevrolet CorvairReview
    Overall:

I Love This Car —

I bought my Corvair at a swap meet for the bargain basement price of $1,500.00. It did need some restoration but, after all, the car is 47 years old. This is my first restoration and working on this car is easy. The majority of the parts I needed to buy were inexpensive and I plan on receiving a nice return on my investment. The car handles great and after some basic motor work (carb cleaning, gasket and fluid changes, plugs and wires) this car runs like a champ and is quick. I have experienced no handling problems like some have spoken about and the ride is very comfortable. I would recommend this car to anyone looking for their first restoration project. Norm, Apparently you do not know that the Corvair motor can leak and when it does, that oil drips into your heater intake. The way the Corvair heating system works is the air is pulled past the exhaust manifolds which heat the air and when that hot intake has burning oil in it, the smoke goes to the cabin whan the heat is on. Also, as anyone knows, when oil gets to a certain temperature, it ignites. Some simple maintenance would have preventing your car going up in flames. Don't blame the car, blame the owner.

Pros: Sporty, fuel efficient, roomy, inexpensive

Cons: sometimes parts can be hard to find

Appearance:
    Overall:

These Are Great Cars To Play In! — Unique and a fun car to drive. Really ticks off muscle car owners when you dust them, fast off the line. Some times referred to as the "American Porsche". Gets good gas mileage for an old car. Owners need to be a fan of these cars because no one knows how to work on them anymore.

Pros: Very unique being an air cooled Chevy

Cons: Parts can be hard to find

Appearance:
    Overall:

Low Priced Collectible — Nothing like them. Great looks and sporty! Excellent 60's car for under 10 grand.I have owned 12. Very roomy and flat floors give lots of leg room. And the top goes down easily. More exotic than a Corvette. Looks great at the High School Homecoming with a Queen Candidate on the back.

Pros: Exclusive desgn

Cons: Valve lifter design

Appearance:
    Overall:

This Car Tried To Kill Me —

I got this car so I could drive to college. It actually did make it for a few months. It had a nasty habit of blowing oily smoke through the heater vents into the car at about 70 mph, no matter what you did with the controls. One day I was on my way to pick up my g/f, pushing it hard in the fast land of the Expressway 'cuz I was late. A Karmen Ghia came up behind me, flashing his lights. I'm like, what are you, kidding? I'm doing 75, you wanna pass me?? So I put it to the floor, now I'm doing 80, with the windows open to let the smoke out of course. And the Ghia pulls into the middle lane and starts to pass me!! Horrors. I see he's got his drivers window open, yelling something. I lean over, deftly driving with one hand and one eye, to open my passenger window. He's pointing at the rear of my car. "You're on FIRE" he yells. I chuckle wisely. "Nahh, it's smoke! It always does that". "NO" he shouts back. "You got flames!" Well, that sucks, I'm thinking. I mean, it can't be that bad, I don't see anything. Smells normal - oily smoke, nothing unusual about that. But, thinking maybe the guy is right, even tho he;s driving a Ghia, I slow down and get it over on the right shoulder. Immediately upon stopping, the entire rear end of the car bursts into flames. I mean, big time. I grab my books and tools out of the car just as the Ghia guy, who wisely stopped WAAAAYYY in front of me, pulls me away from the car. Seconds later, the rear end explodes - lid goes flying, flaming bits of hoses and whatever... awesome. Three fire trucks, two cop cars, an abulance stop by. Not to mention hundreds of cars slowing down to see the show. I was late for our date, you might imagine. One of the cops drove me to a gas station where I got a tow truck. We went back, picked up the charred carcass, and towed it to the gas station I was working at. There we performed a solemn and respectful ceremony by cutting the damn thing in half. Gee I hated that car.

Pros: It didn't succeed

Cons: I cut it in half with a K-12 Rescue saw.

Appearance:
    Overall:

This Is My 66 Chevy Corvair. — This is my 66 chevy corvair, yes it needs work it still runs and it has 80000 original miles on it!!!

Pros: its a reliable v6 motor. good gas mileage

Cons: engine is in the back so you would have to counter balance it

1966 Chevrolet Corvair Review
    says:
    The Late model 1965-1969 Corvairs were a highly unique and risky offering for GM, with a very aluminum-intensive air-cooled engine and an advanced 4-wheel independent suspension. The handling and braking performance are remarkable for the period, managing to be both light to the touch and more than capable of an enjoyable backroad romp.
    vs1966 Ford Mustang Base
    • Cargo Capacity
    • Family Car
    • Value
    • Would Buy
    Cargo Capacity Ranked 1966 Ford Mustang Base worse.
    "The front trunk is wide and long, though oddly shaped. Its very effective for small packages and even large flat items like lawn chairs, but large square box-shaped items will fit better inside the car on the rear seat when its folded down as a parcel shelf."
    Family Car Ranked 1966 Ford Mustang Base worse.
    "The Corvairs flat foor and roomy front and rear seats make for surprisingly accommodating interior space, especially in the available Sport Sedan body."

Displaying all 7 1966 Chevrolet Corvair reviews.

1969 Chevrolet Corvair Reviews

The Most Unusual Car For People Who Enjoy The Unusual By John

For a car introduced in 1960 as an economical alternative to what Detriot was producing at the time, the Corvair was very advanced and unlike anything anyone had ever seen before. Rear engined, air co... Read More

1968 Chevrolet Corvair Reviews

1868 Corvair Monza By Chris

Pros: good on gas, never see another on the road at the same time, sleek design, easy to work on and find parts, great handling wise cons: acceleration, noise (no sneaking home at night, but otherwis... Read More

1965 Chevrolet Corvair Reviews

Chevy Corvair Big Block By joshwalls10101

great car has a 396 big block be hind the bucket seats. seats only 2 people. lots of cargo space. hot rod rat rod. has a 5 speed transmission. this care is a sleeper to the extreme has electric dumps ... Read More

Ryans Review. By Ryan

The car is quick but not a very high top speed. Typical old car, but easy to work on. Love the styling but my paint sucks..one of these days It'll be redone. It gets decent mileage, even with a hot re... Read More

1964 Chevrolet Corvair Reviews

If Kids With Guns Would Shoot Their Own Windows Out I Would Be Drivung This By Shawn

you have to drive one to understand ive owned five corvairs 2 were drivable.hard finds.this one has 79,482 miles on it Read More

1963 Chevrolet Corvair Reviews

Most Awesome Car Ever By Staush

The car is a rear motor rear wheel drive. It could potentially handle amazing if you redid the steering and maybe put some sandbags in the front. the acceleration is pretty good for a 120hp motor with... Read More

Corvair

Looking for a Used Corvair in your area?

CarGurus has 39 nationwide Corvair listings and the tools to find you a great deal.

Have you driven a 1966 Chevrolet Corvair?