1990 Won't Shift into 1st Gear?

Asked by soloalpinist Apr 23, 2009 at 11:36 AM about the 1990 Saab 900 4 Dr S Sedan

My 1990 sprung a leak on the brake/clutch fluid system. The cluctch would shift... stuck in traffic I ground the gears and got it in 5th & drove @about a mile. I Could smell clutch burning. (ouch!) I had theline repaired/fluid replaced. Now it won't go in 1st & grinds a bit going in 2nd. Clutch bad or trans screwed up? Suggestions?

Patrick Davis

Sorry this may be a bit late, had a similar issue with a 87 saab turbo it was manual 5 speed, basically the tranny went bad so I had it rebuilt but after I got it back the master cylinder line to the clutch blew off, after you replace that line and refill you have to bleed it without running out of fluid, basically any air in the line at all will cause failure in clutch release, I used a biker water bottle lid and a bycycle pump with a line basically the water bottle lid screwed on in place of the break fluid cap just attach a line in between and use the pump to bleed it out, just make sure you keep adding fluid and dont let it go dry, if you run the bleed line into a jar with a bit of fluid in it you will see when the air bubbles are gone.