Sticking Gear Shifter

INeedU
0

Asked by INeedU Sep 18, 2011 at 08:35 PM about the 1998 Saab 900 2 Dr SE Turbo Convertible

It is about the gear shifter in my 1998 Saab 900 SE Turbo Convertible that once in a while gets stuck so I cannot move it to other position after starting the engine unless I back the car. When I start backing, the car gets a jolt as if it is overcoming some clamping resistance, and then the gear shifter becomes free.

I've checked if it occurs only in cold climate but detected no pattern as to when it would happen.

Another problem that I should be able to solve before the winter season is that my rear window defroster is not working. The button for the front defroster lights up when I press it on the dashboard but the button for the rear window does not.

Any assistance solving these two issues is heartily welcome.

Nuno Branco
785

It's a manual gearbox, right?

INeedU
0

Yes, it is a manual gearbox. INeedU

Nuno Branco
785

Try pushing the car back and front just a bit, before starting it. Listen for that same jolt. Come back to tell what happened. And, just to make sure, you always leave it locked in reverse before turning off the engine, right?

INeedU
0

No. I first turn off the engine and then shift the gear in reverse to take the ignition key out. My car is in the repair shop now. I'll get it back on Tuesday. The same day I'll push it forward and backward before starting and tell you about what I find out. Thanks for your help.

true9
0

yes