HOW DO YOU DRAIN THE REAR END FLUID AND WHERE DO YOU REFILL IT.

CATKEN
20

Asked by CATKEN Jul 21, 2011 at 12:52 PM about the 1995 Ford Aerostar 3 Dr XLT Passenger Van

Jeff Leeper

Loosen the bolts on the differential cover to drain it. Remove the cover and scrape and replace the gasket. Put the cover back on and torque it. There is a drain plug on the top front of tbe differential you can remove with the ratchet. Make sure you have the correct fluid and fill until it begins to run out.

Chase Sutherland
3,835

isnt there one single drain plug on the bottom of the differential he could remove and a fill hole on the top? much easier than removing the entire cover. at least this worked for my gto. OP...make sure to remove the top fill plug first before draining the fluid. if for some reason its rusted on and you cant break it loose its better to be able to drive the vehicle to a shop then have it towed. also if youve never done this before its not the most pleasant job there is. the oil stinks really bad and it not easy to fill.

Jeff Leeper

No bottom plug on Fords

CATKEN
20

I don't see a bottom plug nor do I see a filler plug. It use to be there was 2 plugs on the back cover; one for draining and one for filling. Not this one. The gasket is leaking but until I find the filler plug, not much I can do.

Jeff Leeper

The top plug is hard to see from underneath or behind the axle.

CATKEN
20

Jeff: So the fill plug is on the driveshaft side and not on the rear cover side

Jeff Leeper

Correct

Chase Sutherland
3,835

Really? Not a very good design then. Probably to help get some more money in the shop haha.

Jeff Leeper

Lower manufacturing costs.

CATKEN
20

Thanks to all the replies: I'll give it a whirl tomorrow morning when things cool down a bit.

CATKEN
20

Thanks: you were right on. Ken

Jeff Leeper

No problem. You're welcome.