My motor has siezed on my G6, shop says its because the "timimg skipped" what does this mean & how did this happen? Could I have done something wrong. It has 150,000 miles

crprater
0

Asked by crprater Nov 08, 2012 at 02:28 PM about the 2006 Pontiac G6 Base V6

DavidH25

There is a belt, sometimes serpintine, or on some engines a chain, that takes power, or it's source of energy, from the crankshaft of the engine to the cam, the camshaft is what lifts the intake and exhaust valves up and down and it has slipped a cog or 2. That is all it takes to absoutely destroy some engines, others ot won't ruin but still a serious problem. If there is no tolerance the piston will come up on the compression stroke and hit an open valve that is not supposed to be open, therefore bye-bye motor

DavidH25

PS You didn't do anything wrong--- unless you never had your car maintained, meaning if you drove it 150,000 miles and never had the belt (I don't know if your car has a belt or chain) inspected/replaced...if you have had it since it was new, it could have been prevented---but if it is relatively new to you, then you had no way of knowing

19,235

Any engine with a belt rather than a chain is supposed to have the belt replaced every 80,000 miles. Every timing belt kit or even belt alone that I have ever purchased or seen purchased comes with a neon green sticker saying "the timing belt on this vehicle was replaced at ________ miles" or something to that nature. The mileage is written on the blank and the sticker is put on the xore support. Timing chains are supposed to be replaced or at the very least checked every 150,000 miles. With proper maintenance it quite common for a timing chain to last 300,000+.

19,235

I'm certain david knows that but for your future reference crprater you now know.