My Pontiac G6's fuel gauge stopped working. It went from about 1/4 the way fulll to 3/4 the way full and now won't move. I need to know what could cause this and how to fix it and for how much.

stephack
10

Asked by stephack Jan 29, 2013 at 08:10 PM about the 2007 Pontiac G6 Base

I have just over 80,000 miles on my car and it was working just fine until one day I turned on my car and it just says
I have more gas than I really do. Now it won't move. I haven't tried anything yet but I know I am almost empty and my
info button says I can only go 60 miles, so I know something went wrong.

DavidH25

Either gauge itself or float is stuck

DavidH25

As long as other gauges work, it's not a fuse ...I will look for the fix

51,085

Try some fuel system cleaner, It has helped with some Grand Am's if it's a result of sulfur deposits on the resister. The only other "fix" is to drop the tank and replace the sending unit. Might as well replace the pump too. --- When you fill up, zero your trip odometer so you know how many miles you have driven.

Ilregal

Could even be a stepper motor in the cluster itself but most likely the Sending Unit in the gas tank. 015 SENSOR. Fuel Tank Meter/Pump SENSOR,FUEL LVL(ACDelco #SK1184). CAM-CONNECTOR-MODULE-MODULE KIT-SENSOR-SENSOR KIT, Fuel Tank Meter/Pump. For: Z69 (2004-2006) (2005 - 2007). Required: 01 $53.0 (Maybe) Probably need to check fuel line pressure check up at your fuel rails and see if your getting fuel. A new fuel pump for a G6 is close to $500, Release pressure on the fuel rail, but study up first or you'll get a huge surprise. Could be just the sensor marked number 15 in diagram.

Ilregal

That is a maybe and click on the diagram to get a better look unless you have really good eyes.

stephack
10

I filled my tank up today and now it just stays on empty..how will I know if it's the gauge or the sensor or something else? I don't want to buy parts I don't need.

Daniel Perron
1,755

pontiac dying buy a ford

Ilregal

It could just being in the dash cluster and stepper motor has gone out, real common on gm. Try this, power goes to the gas gauge sending unit when you turn the key on, then the power comes back to the gauge on the dash. Check to see where power is lost and fix that wiring. And if it's a GM product, often the body control modules go bad, a small crappy computer unit that also works with the gauge or you can check the ground a wire from the sending unit to a clean part on the frame. It takes no time to do it and doesn't cost you anything

brianfox
25

The fuel sender unit go bad,and i believe it is part of the fuel pump

brianfox
25

cost of a fuel pump is oe-$364.78,ac delco-$292.00,and about 2 hours labor

Daniel Perron
1,755

sometimes moisture gets in the gas tank and causes the float to stick when it gets really cold

brianfox
25

Wishful thinking,hope your right,I work for gm,and checked to see if any tsb's,there is none found on the g6,however the 05.06 chevy trailblazer that has the same concern as your g6,GM is doing a 50/50 split with the customer.Try what Daniel says ,install a couple of dry gas bottles,fill it up with premium fuel...if that don't fix it,then think about the sender unit...Goodluck my friend

Daniel Perron
1,755

happened in my celebrtiy wagon many years ago dry gas fixed it, do the easy stuff 1st

Ilregal

NHTSA Service Bulletin No.: SB-09-06-04-007A Component(s): ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING , FUEL SYSTEM, OTHER NHTSA ID Number: 10030685 Manufacturer: General Motors LLC SUMMARY: SATURN/PONTIAC/CHEVROLET: THE FUEL GAUGE DOES NOT RISE ABOVE THE 3/4 MARK AFTER A FILL UP OR THE FUEL GAUGE APPEARS STUCK. AN ILLUMINATION OF THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. ON RARE OCCASIONS, THE FUEL GAUGE DOES NOT READ THE CORRECT LEVEL WHICH MAY RESULT IN A NO START CONDITION DUE TO A LOW FUEL LEVEL. *PE

Ilregal

it appears to me that this stephack makes a post and apparently is expecting someone to pop out with a F'n magic stick and fix this for him and the rest of you are just talking to yourselves, and great a GM mechanic than you should at least know better as each one of my own personal answers are either correct of damn near correct, check the damn ground wire, I haven't seen this guy reply to one post so wtf, why's everyone including myself wasting time, this guy wants you to come over and fix it for him, quit being stupid with the frozen parts, gas doesn't freeze, come on people, I gave this guy a complete diagram and to the GM guy these ought to look familiar, you think, so he can get to work, I even point out the sensor that would cause the problem and if all else it might even be the stepper motor on the cluster, so try and fix that !! This is a waste of damn time. Quit being played as suckers.

Daniel Perron
1,755

who's the sucker? always fascinates me how people are looking for the easy way out, its funny if you take them seriously.....

DavidH25

That service bulletin takes us back up 16 posts of analyzing, guessing and now a little animosity, to my first original answer, arrived at by logic: the FRIGGIN GAUGE IS STUCK

Ilregal

Well that's really nice that CarGurus cleans up what Daniel Perron wants to say to me about being an A Hol, but the eamil to me from Carguru didn't but I'll tell you what about the freezing, If a part is surrounded by gas how is it going to freeze? Explain that.. You go around and around with your stupid ideas and you don't know a thing, I originally stated to check the electrical, why, because the manual says to do so, and this is what is say's, and I suppose they are just trying to save you a lot of work by dropping the tank for no reason, they say ". Proper voltage at the fuel pump, and fuel pressure should be checked before replacing the fuel pump. Consult your service manual for proper pressure and testing procedures. Keeping your PONTIAC G6 fuel system properly maintained is vital to your vehicle’s performance and fuel efficiency." and I have seen this problem before, in person, many times and anyone who knows anything about GM would know this. I just got a girls straightened out on a Regal which is less prone but same sort of issue and as far as who is the sucker, you are Daniel. I posted that service bulletin because I knew there was one and where it was, funny thing, sitting right in the Pontiac file!! I personally don't go around guessing at what might be the problem and come up with some hair brained idea. And still not one peep out of the guy who asked the question, Dave was mostly right straight up, put the electrical can be the second and most easiest thing to check on this fuel pump but then again I would suggest that Daniel go out and build a fire under the tank so he can thaw out that frozen float.....LOL Sucker and what was your first suggestion Daniel?? pontiac dying buy a ford, you are so smart.. clown. And one more thing, not one person bothers to ask this guy what engine he has, 4 or 6 cylinder, but I suppose that doesn't matter after all a fuel pump is a fuel pump, right?

Ilregal

And to check the electrical which sits right on top of the pump with a wiring harness making it so YOU don't have to pull the tank looks like this. So what might be the easiest thing to start checking?

DavidH25

They may have cleaned it up but not in time....when I get emails I have it set to email me when an answer gets posted in "a question you are following"..I saw that and Daniel, you take the whole thing way too seriously, for cryin' out loud it's just a Q and A forum

Daniel Perron
1,755

stupid questions and answers, im done with this

Ilregal

Thanks Dave, and I will admit myself I finally got irritated with the whole question and especially when I see the guy who asked it, is GONE. I apologize to all, maybe...LOL

Ilregal

Stupid is as stupid does, bye bye, and don't forget to take your A HO with you, idiot and I even sort of tried to apologize to him, now I feel bad, sort of.