sputters

badmac
25

Asked by badmac Dec 27, 2012 at 12:44 PM about the 2001 Nissan Sentra SE

starts, idles fine will not rev putters but does not stall. changed crank shaft position sensor,coil, cap,still  does the same

L_R
295

Does the gas pedal respond or not at all?

badmac
25

at times it does if you keep trying will excell with real light touch but putter if pushed normally

Robert Lavallee
925

sounds like it's in failsafe mode. light on? is the mass airflow meter clean?? even if it's clean could be failing just not enough to set a code just cause drivebality issues, is there any codes?

badmac
25

no lights. the mass airflow is the only thing I have not changed - but I did take it off and clean it. I also understand it could be a comp issue. Airflo will be here thur. hope it works....... Real frustrated with no codes

Robert Lavallee
925

Do you have a scanner that you can do data display on??

badmac
25

I have access to a reader but there are no codes or check engine lights. Yet each time it starts fine, step on the gas and it sputters. Let it off it idles fine. Step real soft you can get up tp about 2800rpms. All in all I am going nuts...

mrfixit1012
0

i would check timeing an belt

badmac
25

idles great. If it was the that it would not ide even

mrfixit1012
0

if it's off 1 tooth sure it would fun but it would make it sputer

badmac
25

yes but can you explain why even when i can get the rpms up it runs fine. it just does not have the vrooom. there seems to be no miss. it sputters if gas is pushed normal or fast. but if pushed rea slow, it won't go...

Robert Lavallee
925

sounds like a mass airflow meter even when they're failing they won't set a code until they've completely failed.

mrfixit1012
0

timing belt tenchener pully might be loose

badmac
25

no looks and feels good

badmac
25

Robert do you mean mass airfo sencer. if so I am getting one today and will let you know

Robert Lavallee
925

yes mass airflow sensor

Best Answer
badmac
25

Mass air flow worked great. thanx Robert