how do I change the rear brakes for mazda protege dx 1993 rear disc?

Marcos
25

Asked by Marcos Jul 27, 2007 at 11:16 PM about the 1993 Mazda Protege 4 Dr DX Sedan

how do I change the rear brakes (rear disc brake), for mazda protege 1993, 1.9 two cam.

dvigano
10,605

Hi Marcos, Disc Brakes: Take the tire off the vehicle. Remove the brake piston Compress the brake piston with a flathead screwdriver or c-clamp. Remove the caliper and then the caliper bracket. Replace the brake pads. Installation is in reverse. Drum Brakes: Take the tire off the vehicle. Remove the retaining clips. Hit the drum with a hammer and pull off the brake drum. Twist off the retainer springs. Replace the brakes pads. Installation is in reverse. Good luck!

Eric098
80

Wrong! A c-clamp won't get you anywhere on this one... I have an( '02 MP5)- The rear brakes on the P5 are a bit different than most setups...be careful! The only way to move the piston back into the caliper is by way of a special allen head bolt that is directly behind the piston, on the back side of the caliper, installed under a 14mm bolt. You have to remove this bolt to gain access to the allen head. As you loosen the allen head bolt(counter- clockwise), the piston will move back into the caliper. Installation is pretty typical, again, the allen head bolt being the unusual part. The manual says to tighten this bolt until the pads contact the rotor, then loosen the bolt 1/3rd of a turn, then reinstall the 14mm bolt. Hope this helps...I found all of this out the hard way. Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Changing_rear_brake_pads_on_2002_mazda_protege5#ixzz1IVXKtKRK