Why won't my 02 Kia Rio crank?

Nick Flynn
0

Asked by Nick Sep 10, 2013 at 02:40 PM about the 2002 Kia Rio Base

I have an 02 Kia Rio that I
was driving to work when
it suddenly died I figured
the fuel pump but there's
fuel in the fuel rail and it
only "clicks" when you
turn the key. It's not the
timing belt. Or battery it
read 12.8 after sitting for a
week. Any ideas

ranger58
135

Check the solenoid on the starter motor, and the starter motor itself, but clean battery posts first, then check that the wire leading to the starter has a good connection. If all seems ok, rock the car back and forth in third gear, so that it turns the flywheel, incase there are missing tooth or indeed teeth on the flywheel

Nick Flynn
0

If that were the problem would it still cause the car to die during driving

ranger58
135

No, but any number of reasons for the car to just "die" Bad connections, fuel, etc. I assume that the engine is not seized since you checked the timing belt? Nine times out of ten it is an electrical fault that causes a breakdown anyway. Here is a check list, Make sure that the engine is turning freely, do not have ignition on! Check visible wiring, connectors, etc. including the earth strap. Only check to see if you are getting petrol to the engine after checking all wires. Come back and let us know what is happening, Mark. Sam

David Hambleton
255

I know this is a year old but these things have a habit of Crank Angle Sensor failure.