Jeep cherokee drinks antifreeze and i just replaced the water pump on it?

dodgecummins
3,175

Asked by dodgecummins Jan 25, 2013 at 09:46 AM about the 1992 Jeep Cherokee 4 Dr Laredo 4WD

DavidH25

Ok..are there puddles on the ground? Tail pipe smoke? Overheat? I know, full of questions back at ya. Have you checked your oil to be sure it's not getting in to crankcase? A head gasket can allow coolant in to combustion chamber if it's blown. get back to me.. (us) here we will figure this out

Eugen Dinica
185

Like David said, if there is no coolant on the ground, its going somewhere, whats the color of your exhaust, if its white, antifreeze is being burnt. CHeck your oil, if it looks like a really gross milkshake, its getting into the oil.

dodgecummins
3,175

in the morning it has a lot of white smoke when its cold and i just changed oil and the oil almost dark already. Dosent have a white tint to the oil. dosent overheat if i put some antifreeze in the over flow it will be gone in a week.

DavidH25

When it's real cold, the white smoke could be only the water vapor in the air becoming visible when the exhaust heat condenses it. And..the overflow tank should be only about 1/4 full, cold. Do NOT fill it up. I think there are two things going on, you need to change your motor oil with an oil with solvent sold just for that purpose, that you use for only about 20 minutes of running time, look for that product at the parts store, then change it yet again, and use a good quality filter. Then get a pressure tester that goes on the radiator cap and pump pressure in and look for leaks. Also, does it consume engine oil? If so, the white or bluish smoke is oil. And if your motor oil is overfull and kind of a light chocolate brown color, that is coolant in the crankcase

dodgecummins
3,175

it uses some oil like a half a quart every full gas tank but it also had 240k on it but ill try that and see if the dose any thing

DavidH25

That is too much oil consumption, 1/2 quart for every tank, the piston rings and valve guide seals are next on my list of where the oil goes. It will burn through when they leak, so compression test would be nice.

dodgecummins
3,175

ok well ill try that but if i didn't have compression wouldent it not have much power?

DavidH25

If you are way below, yeah, it will effect performance. But a cylinder or 2 that is only, say, 10 or 20% below of what it should be, and compared to the other cylinders will not, it will run fine

dodgecummins
3,175

i mean it got some power becase it the high output it can spin the tires evan with over side tires idk man ill try what you said. thanks for the help much appreciated.