front end squealing after using 4 wheel drive

djeep
15

Asked by Feb 23, 2013 at 12:55 PM about the 1997 Jeep Cherokee 4 Dr Sport 4WD

I used the 4 wheel drive and when I put it back to 2 wheel it started to squeal. It is a 97 Jeep cherokee.

When was the last time you did a brake job? It might be the brake wear indicator and just a coincident.

djeep
15

about a year

Thanks you for responding back, well that wouldn't be the issue then. When you said you used the four wheel drive, what exactly do you mean, like off road race like or rock climbing...LOL... or just put it into four wheel drive and then drive a few feet like to get through a situation and then right back into 2 whl drv.

Also where is it squealing, specifically if you can tell, like a transfer case or wheel hub?

djeep
15

Trough snow about 50 ft. Shut it off for about 2 hours then went back through and put back to 2 wheel. It is coming from wheels but only in drive.

Thanks, that is kind of what I thought, when I mentioned how far and how hard of the four wheeling. The problem with sitting here and trying to diagnose your problem is I can't see or hear it, so that leaves guessing basically. Jeep has had there share of problems and this kind of question is never surprising frankly. How often would you say over the last year have you used the four wheel drive? And, have you attempted to put it back into four wheel drive and drive it a bit to see a couple of things, one, does it squeal when in four wheel, two, while it go into four wheel know at all, and three, when you shift it back out of 4 wheel does the squeal stop know? Sometimes just shifting four wheelers back in and out will solve a problem, This would be especially true if you say haven't used the four wheel in maybe a couple years and then use it, then it starts making a weird noise. Hope that makes sense, lack of use can cause problems and maybe, hopefully, just shifting it back in and out a couple of times and driving in four wheel maybe a bit further than 50ft will make it stop. Again I emphasize how nearly impossible it is to really give you an absolute straight answer to you problem from here. So all I am able to really do for you is suggest things that have solved problems in my vehicles in the past. I have never owned a Jeep, well actually when I was a kid my Dad had a Willy's Army jeep but I have only owned a Bronco. But the theory is all the same.

Sorry about the typo's

thejeepdoctor
5,635

If vehc. wont go back into 2wd. Its due to the wear or size of the tires. W/selectrac all tires have to be within 1/4 of an inch in circumfrunce. Take a string and wrap it around the tread of the tire. All tires have to be within 1/4 in. If not, one axle, be it the ft. or rear, will spin at a different rate. Causing the ft. and rear driveshafts to bind, thus not allowing transfercase to be able to unlock. These t-cases have to be in a state of (float) to release.