Battery dies, radios stops working and comes back by itself. Can you help?

Wen9999
20

Asked by Wen9999 Jul 24, 2011 at 10:34 PM about the 2004 Honda Accord LX

I have this Honda Accord 2004 LX. Sometimes the battery just dies by itself and sometimes the radio stops working suddenly and come back after several days. I had it checked by a Honda service person and was told the battery is find and there is nothing wrong with the radio either, believe it or not. I tend to believe these two symptoms are linked together to something common. Any help is appreciated.

Wen9999
20

actually found this thread online and it says this problem is covered life time by Honda. http://www.justanswer.com/honda/1feyi-own-2004-honda-accord-radio-randomly-shuts-off.html Anybody know if this is true? I went to the dealer to have the car checked up but they didn't say anything about coverage. thanks.

oyacteen
105

My Camry was doing the same. Just try cleaning the contacts of the battery and see what happens.

Wen9999
20

Thanks. Will do that. Did your radio shut off and turn on by itself also?

oyacteen
105

Hmmm, nope. didn't do that. I am probably wrong then, instead try looking for loose contacts and solder joints.

judson21
95

Dirty ground and power wires from alternator to battery and battery to fuse box clean all.

2,845

i just re-read this. when i bought my 2007 accord used. they had to jump it before i could test drive it. so when it came time to negotiate i asked them to test the battery and that i wanted it replaced. they tested it and told me it was fine. i bought the car labor day weekend. i had a situations where the car wouldn't start and once it shut off on me while i was driving on the highway!! (scary!) when i moved to NH and got it inspected here, the mechanics that did the inspection do a general check of everything. during the inspection the battery decided to cut out. so they tested it and told me that battery was junk and that i should get it replaced. my first thought after that i was told that was, the honda guys lied to me and they probably didnt even test my battery. sorry for the long story, but maybe go to autozone and get a second opinion on your battery

renegg
10

My 2004 honda accord car factory radio is set to turn on when I start my car but sometimes has no power and then eventually it will display power and turn on after driving my car for a while what is it please help me

Tailor07
30

My issue is that the radio turns off and on all the time. Just out of the blue and it has this loud pop sound. Its been making my battery die lately. Has anyone had this problem?

btc2015
0

renegg and Tailor07 - I've seen both of these issues. In addition I also have the radio/console backlight issue. All winter I've had the fuse linked to the radio out and the battery was fine. I also hooked up a multimeter to the battery and with the fuse plugged in the car was taking a larger than normal draw from the battery while turned off. Seems to be something electrical. Either of you have any luck? I thought about trying the backlight fix and seeing if that also worked for the radio issues both of you mentioned. All of the car issues started roughly around the same time.

h0ndabr0
10

Having the same issue with my 2005 Honda Accord lately. First, I had issues with the starter but everytime I could wait a minute or so and start the car just fine. And now just recently I'll be driving along and have the loud pop and the audio goes out, doesn't matter if it's CD or Radio, etc. I'll turn it off and a minute or so later I'll turn it back on and the sound is back...

h0ndabr0
10

OK. I'm back again... radio stopped working for days... before like I said I could turn it off for a couple minutes, turn it back on and everything is fine. Went out for days... then... came back on for a good couple hours without messing up THEN BOM)*fh28fH@F*)@ crazy fckin static noises scared the living shit out of me came out the radio. Couldn't have turned it off any quicker. Was scared to turn it back on but did the next day and bam same thing happens... no way I'm turning it back on again til I get it fixed. :( I also called a local Honda Dealership and explained the issue also told them how I searched online and found that this problem has universal coverage. Lady said she's never heard of such a thing and that I should bring it in. :/ ;\