Battery dies. Auto shop said that the battery and alternator are working properly.

gibwilson
0

Asked by gibwilson Nov 01, 2008 at 10:49 AM about the 2006 Honda Accord

My battery went dead a two weeks ago. Someone gave me a jump and it started. I drove home and put it on a battery charger for a day and a half. Next six days it started fine. Yesterday it would not start again. I put the battery charger on it again. This morning I went to an auto shop. They said the battery and alternator are working fine and recommended I go to the dealership where I bought the car. Can anyone offer suggestions? Thanks.

Andrew Gilbert
350

It could be that the car is using amperage while it is off. It's called a parasitic draw and can be caused by bad wires or bad electrical components. Have you put a stereo system in recently or other aftermarket stuff 'cause that could cause it too.

gibwilson
0

Thank you for the quick response. No, I have not added anything to the vehicle. The car is loaded and is a little over 2 years old. I went to the hospital and used valet parking. As they were driving off I noticed the head lights were on. Maybe they didn't turn them off, not sure. It was the next day I started having the problem. Thanks again for your reply.

Cisco Wilkinson
25

I had the very same thing happen to me. Did the same as you went to a shop had battery and alternator check both were "fine". I still replaced the battery as it was almost time to do so, only about one year left. And with the battery change i have not had that problem happen again. I know it was a faulty battery. You should do so as well.