4WD problem- not engaging correctly/fully??

tbone133
5

Asked by Jul 31, 2011 at 06:16 PM about the 1992 GMC Sonoma 2 Dr SLE 4WD Extended Cab SB

While up north, I got stuck in some lose sand on a fire lane. I put the truck into 4WD high and attempted to get out of the sand. When I hit the gas, the only tires that were spinning were my rear tires. I then tried 4WD low and had enough "power" to get out, I do not know if the front wheels were engaging in 4 low. When I got back to my cabin, I engaged 4WD again (indicator light is on) and put the truck into park (to my understanding if 4WD is working correctly, I should not be able to move the tires). I tried spinning the front tires and they turned with each other so the actuator is engaging the 4WD but they were not limited by the truck being in park.

What could the problem be with the truck? My dad thinks the problem is in the transfer case. is there anything that I can check by myself? Is there anything that I need to do to engage 4WD (like drive in reverse to engage it)? my dad said i may have to do that but I was not given an owner's manual when i bought the truck

Jamie Adams
245

sounds like a acuator prob...locate it some are under battery box an vacumme operated..

tbone133
5

I don't think it is an actuator problem because like I said, I can engage 4 WD and both front tires turn simultaneously.. Like I turn the driver's side tire clockwise and the passenger front tire turns the same way... but the rotation is not limited by the truck being in park... if 4WD was working correctly the tires should only move a little bit and not freely like they currently are Sorry for the late reply... I have been working 12 hr days and did not have a lot of time to look at my truck any further help will be greatly appreciated

Lonestar4
30

hey i have been having this same problem with my truck. i can hear it engage but the front wheels do not get power transmitted to them and this mechanic i know said when the thruck says its in 4wd but no power is getting to them that is vacuum problems but when the doesnt change when you hit the button thats electrical. so i would check the vacuum even though that might not be the problem.

Cody Parker
25

if it is push button 4x4 the motor could be bad if its in the floor idk

Bird915
0

your actuator might not be fully going in,im having the same problem but i pushed mine in while someone fliped the switch and it went in but poped out when i hammered on it ,,drove it.still have to break it down

Bird915
0

do i have the right idea for my f150 or not /???