Transmission conversion

Ricky Parker
55

Asked by Ricky Oct 02, 2013 at 11:34 PM about the 1989 Ford F-250 XLT Lariat Standard Cab 4WD LB

'89 F250, 5.8l 4X4. i have a 4 speed manual with 5th gear OD but can only handle towing up to 4000lbs stated in owners manual.
im wondering if there is a aftermarket gear i can put in to have 5th gear and maybe a 6th gear. going 50mph at 2500rpm on
highway hauling 4000+ lbs is not ideal. and sucking fuel down to. or is there a 5 speed or 6 speed trans that will mate up to the
5.8l?

Ricky Parker
55

or is it easier to swap it with a cummins with a 6 speed, that is all i am finding on the web.

Ronc258
2,570

Dodge runs the cummins diesil not ford. And the Ford diesil was never that good on milage. The power stroke

Ronc258
2,570

I know I do not spell good

operator_13

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_F-Series_eighth_generation

operator_13

Transmission 3-speed Ford C6 automatic 4-speed automatic Ford AOD Ford E4OD 4-speed Borg-Warner T18 manual 5-speed manual Mazda M5OD ZF S5-42

Ronc258
2,570

Good luck finding a C6 these days Hard to find where I am from

6,515

The towing capacity isn't just because of the transmission. The engine, frame, springs, rear axle and tires have a lot to do with it too. The 5.8 isn't suited to big loads like that. It will pull it - you'll hate it - and it will eat fuel. You don't want an overdrive unit when you tow because you will burn it out. To be brutally honest: If you would like to tow a big load, buy a big truck with a big engine - if you want fuel mileage - buy a car.

Markand Norma Konecsni
515

In 4th gear the input and output shafts rotate at the same speed. With an overdrive, they rotate at different speeds, which under load (like towing) it wears it where the 2 shafts are joined at an accelerated speed causing transmission failure. Best bet would be invest in a newer ecoboost which will tow over 10, 000 lb & still get decent mileage.

Ricky Parker
55

the truck tows a 33ft cabin cruiser and a 26 ft front cabin open fishing deck boat just fine, dont need a bigger engine, just need another gear over 4th. i dont want a automatic, i like controlling my rpm. i know towing over 4000 lbs will burn the OD gear, says not to use it in the manual. im just trying see if there is a 5 speed manual or 6 speed manual match up to the 5.8l, that will help on fuel consumption because engine will be at lower rpm then with the extra gears. a car wont haul what i need it to haul.

Ronc258
2,570

It's a 1989 this is 2013 I think it has seen it's better days. They are nice old trucks but they need to retire at some point to.

Ricky Parker
55

changing axle gear may help right? i dont have money get new truck right now.

Ronc258
2,570

It could but rember you have 4 wheel drive you have to change all gears not just the rear end you have to do the front end all so and that is not cheap to do. My son had a 1989 f150 with the 4: 11 gear ratial with over 300,000 on the 300 inline 6 in it beforwe scraped it we pulled front and rear difs out so they were a matching pair they were both true possie. we sold the rest of the truck for scrap and got $250 for that and got $3500 for the difs because of the true possie and gear ratial

Ricky Parker
55

mine has 115000 miles. i dont know what my axle gearing is. i know have to change both.

Ronc258
2,570

should be a tag on the front end and the front dif to indentfy what the gears are.Get them and maybe call a local ford shop or trans and dif shop and they should be able to tell you what you have

Ronc258
2,570

or maybe even try looking in your owners manual if you still have it. That may tell you or call a local salvage yard they can maybe tell you what gears you have. Just need to know if it 6 bolt 8 bolt rim pattern that makes a big difference

Ronc258
2,570

all so count the bolts on the rear end pan That should be a drop out rear end. what I mean is you can pull the whole pinion gear assembly out of the back of the rear and front end axel assemblys

operator_13

No. ron....Old Trucks Never Die!~

Ronc258
2,570

every thing doe's when its time is up even us. You can keep rebuilding and repiaring but some time its more money than its worth. But I hear ya on that one

DavidH25

My 1978 F250 will pull a train.To this day.