1987 Audi 5000S

rae4sp
0

Asked by rae4sp Jan 03, 2014 at 08:14 PM about the 1987 Audi 5000 S

I know this may be difficult - but I have a chance to buy a used 1987 Audi 5000S.  It is in pretty decent shape and everything works even the sunroof.. couple dings (no biggy).  It is going for $1500 and has 220, 000miles.  One question is after it starts the warning light on dash appears OK (in orange) then after about 20-30 seconds it appears an orange solid triangle but I have no idea what that may mean? Don't see BRAKE TEMP etc to tell me.. suppose it could be burned out or something but was hoping someone may help me out.   see no leaking in engine compartment or under vehicle.  runs out good and brakes squeal a little needs pads.. no over heating either

Any help? Do you know?
Is $1500 pretty fair price?

Regards
George

82,525

An Audi with 220K? Are you ready to sink in a couple more grand to get it running in tip top shape, and then have a old worn out car? BTW: Book valve for a clean 5000s with a sunroof is $1K. $1500 if it was in excellent shape, (which it isn't). Be prepared to put a lot more money into it.

Best Answer
DavidH25

Run away far and fast. I had an Audi, a 1985 Quattro that became a money pit the day I bought it. Prepare to pay $300 for a tail light lens. It ran great but every 'little' thing went south. The door latches wouldn't work. The headlight switch went bad, $400, No that's not a typo, the drivers seat back broke in half, get a visual on that, the top half folded back. Again, it ran like a champ, but far too many issues. Tell the seller to pay YOU $1500 to take it off his hands. Yes, that bad.

rae4sp
0

Thank you for your responses!

Al Manslauter
0

I loved my '87 Audi 5000S from 12/01-5/04, but diagnosing problems can be very tricky, plus you may need unusual tools to fix some problems yourself. That car destroyed my savings account and killed 3 years of hard work while I owned it. It runs GREAT when it's running. I know more about fixing cars now, so I would buy it, personally, for me.