why dose my car shut off when i turn on the head lights?

Rob Hamilton

Asked by Rob Aug 23, 2008 at 08:11 PM about the Audi 5000

i got a 1979 audi 5000s and it just stopped running when i turn on the head lights why would it do this?

You may have an electrical short or a bad relay/fuse in the vehicle. Consult your owners manual and check each of the fuses first and then move to the relays. If they're all good, then you may need to take it to your trusted mechanic.

Josh Wendler

as the guy said ahead of me, if it needs a jump after u do that or it doesnt want to crank over (start) at all after it, it could also very well be a bad alternator. But yes, do take it to a mechanic to be sure. It's going to be your best bet.

Joe Przyborski

or because its from 1979

Dan McCaig

If you can't say anything helpful or constructive don't say anything. People don't put their questions up here to get snarky replies from little kids, they are trying to get help and advice.

Wayne Norris

i found that a faulty headlight switch will do the same thing, it is hooked directly to the ignition and may cause a dead short, check that as well,,