right front brake caliper won't release. WHY?

tom27roadster
10

Asked by tom27roadster Jul 11, 2011 at 06:34 PM about the 1997 Dodge Neon 4 Dr STD Sedan

new caliper, rotor, pads. steel brake lines recently replaced. this is a non ABS car. master cylander has 4 brake lines coming out of it. does anyone know which lines at the master cylander go to which wheel?  the steel lines were replaced before I got the car. I'm wondering if the lines were plumbed into the wrong ports on the master cylander. It seems like the brake fluid can go from the master cylander to the wheel but it can't go back.

Jeff Leeper

did you change the slide pins and lubricate them? I have had calipers hang up because of warped pins and brackets. Also, is the tire torqued evenly and are the caliper bolts both tight.

tom27roadster
10

Jeff, thanks for your reply. I borrowed a factory service manual from the library. I will look at the car again tomorrow but I think that the 2 rear brake lines have been installed into the wrong ports on the master cylander. this is a diagonal system so I'm hoping that if I reverse the rear lines it will correct the problem. I think the items you brought up are all ok but I will double check them anyway.

Justin Gilmore
785

a bad master cyl can also exibit these same symptoms, so if switching the lines doesnt help i'd look into it.

Chris McGee
3,505

REPLACE THE RIGHT FRONT BRAKE HOSE...... they will allow fluid out of the master cylinder but not return... brake hoses break down over time and collapse internally.. about 99% sure this will fix it all for about 12 bucks and about 30 minutes of time. Mine did the same thing

Chris McGee
3,505

the right front brake hose is more likelyto fail than a proportioning valve on the master to fail

tom27roadster
10

Chris, you were right. the flex line was the problem.thank you to everyone who took the time to reply. Tom

manivallal
30

I have a smiler issue. Even after replacing break pads,rotors, callipers hoses and master cylinder. still calliper is not getting released and the breaks pads are getting Jam with rotor and over heating. please advice.

Chris McGee
3,505

the only thing left is to clean the spindle slide for where the caliper glides across make sure it is smooth top to bottom and use a little anti seize on it also.