2012 Honda CRV with 15,500 miles on it. Dashboad light comes on with code B 1 6 indication oil change. Why would the dealer also want to change the rear differential fluid? Did I get blind sided?

tmoo1218
10

Asked by tmoo1218 May 14, 2013 at 09:36 AM about the 2012 Honda CR-V EX AWD

2012 Honda CRV with 15,500 miles on it.  Dashboad light comes on with code B 1 6 indication oil change.  Why would the dealer also want to change the rear differential fluid? Did I get blind sided?

14,245

yes you did, the diff. fluid does not need to be changed at 15,500 miles.

DavidH25

Some would charge you for headlight fluid, halogen fluid is more expensive, if they could get away with it. As kbro said, yes you did get blindsided ..or in other words, screwed.

Kos MotorCars
805

Dont worry if you plan on keeping the car you did a GREAT thing if you can afford it. Your your cheap/broke then maybe you could of held it out but if your car calls for Service 1(Rotate tires,** inspect for wear and adjust pressure) and Service 6(Replace rear differential fluid 4WD only) then YOU did the right thing. You can always check for your self at Honda website itself so your not worried ** http://www.honda.ca/owners/honda-services/maintenance-calculator **

Best Answer
tmoo1218
10

Thank you but I may be confused. I have a AWD not a 4WD there used to be a difference, is that not so?

14,245

AWD is in 4WD all the time. Usually if the vehicle says its 4WD then you have the option of being in 2 or 4WD with AWD you do not have the option the vehicle is either spinning all 4 wheels all the time or has a device that the computer controls to transfer power when it thinks it needs to.

tmoo1218
10

It is the later and the maint schedule does state if required for 4wd so I guess they were correct and I need to offer them an apology. Thank you all

sperony
0

I had a 2007 2WD CRV that I traded in with 97k miles for a 2012. I never changed the diffrential fluid on that car or any vehicle I have owned for over 50 years, Some with over 200k miles. My 2012 is AWD and has 27k on it and no one has said a word about changing the fluid and it's serviced at a dealer.

Amir Salamat
265

Sperony your 2007 Cr-V doesn't have a rear deferential so you don't need to change anything. For your 2012 I guess your dealer spiked it, I changed the rear DEF Fluid on my 2012 CR-V and my 2008 one. so its one of the services that your new car needs, my dealer told me the reason for that is, to empty the Rear Def from any debris caused by the friction of gears inside the DEF. just in case if there is anything is in there.

Raycamaro
0

My 2005 doesn't call for a differential fluid change until it has 80,000 miles on it. The oil change light has nothing to do with the transmission or the differential fluid.

snoopy216
0

Actually The 2012 Honda Calls for the Differential Fluid to be changed at 15,000 miles and every 30,000 miles there after. So the dealer did follow the recommended change. Better to safe than sorry.