Ignition accessory wire to hook up a radar detector?

bbqkid
0

Asked by bbqkid Mar 12, 2012 at 11:23 AM about the 2012 Ford Expedition EL XL 4WD

Looking for an accessory wire from the ignition to hook up a radar detector on a 2012 Expedition.

gmcinfo
55

I have an 05 Silverado and I connected my passport to the overhead light next to the map lights in the front seat. I then used the rear view mirror wire cover to run the power to the detector. Its a very easy and neat install. I was also pleased to find out that the radar turned off when the inside power and light timer turned off (approx 3-5 minutes after the inside light went off). I would think yours would be the same. This to me was ideal except for some reason I always have to turn on the map light on/off after I start the car. If I don't, it won't send power to the radar.

gmcinfo
55

One other thing. I bought the power cord from passport direct. The cord came with these little connectors that you put over the wire and press with your finger to splice into the + and - wire. I did not have to cut any wires or solder anything. I am not a mechanic but after looking at all the other places to hook mine up, this seemed the best to me.

oldtimer37
1,685

I hooked my GPS and Radar Detector to the back of my accessory (cigar lighter) socket. The hot wire on it is on all the time and all I do is dismount the detector when I leave the car. The dash mount has the power built in it. The moment I mount the units they are on. I ran the wires around the window molding to the front of the dash.