Getting a Viper soon- how should i do it?

Ferrous Ward
5

Asked by Ferrous Jul 16, 2008 at 02:40 PM about the 2005 Dodge Viper 2 Dr SRT-10 Convertible

Im gonna be getting a Viper for my 15 birthday, but i have to pay for it myself

i was thinking about buying it from a police auction- it'll be about $5,000- $15,000.

any other suggestions?

Jordan Cannon
25

The viper is a good car but for a 15 year old i would say you shouldn't get it. Only because takes alot of gas and you are going to be going to pay alot more for for gas and will need to fill up more often. Like i got a 99 dodge avenger sport. that sucks gas and i hate it but in know that a viper will be even worse

Darin Hamilton
25

Any Viper selling for less than $50K is going to be garbage (e.g., accident write-off). Get yourself a good late-model coupe, like a Mustang GT or 300ZX or RX-7, as a first car and you'll be better off.

Jeff Petack
545

Not to mention a 15 year old doesn't have the experience to be driving a car like that. Not only would the insurance be insane, but this kid is going to kill himself or someone else with it. A 15 year old in a Smart car is dangerous enough let alone a Viper.

Ferrous Ward
5

this is actually my 2nd car- i got my first car from my uncle- a '79 chevy corvette

Jeff Petack
545

You're still 15 and a complete inexperienced driver, correct?

Elder Zeigler
15

i totally agree... a 15 year getting a viper is ridiculous... how are you gonna afford it and ya a viper less than 50000 would be crap

Ferrous Ward
5

Actually, no. I got my first driving game when i was three, played it every day-got first place in every race. Since i was 9, i go to the arcade and compete with other adults there and always win-without crashing. when i turned 11, my mother started to let me drive her car. To this day, i've driven 420 miles. (and no, not around the block, or to the corner store.) when i turned 13, my uncle, that lives in CA, sold me his '79 chevy corvette for $3,500 with only one catch, it had to stay there, and i had to buy gas. so now im 14, in drivers training (and through a loophole, i got into drivers ed-something you now must do before Drivers training- when i was thirteen and 10 months-online- got a permit- and went to drivers training.) and about to get my lisense.

Ferrous Ward
5

you forgot about police auctions. they repo cars, houses, etc- and auction them off starting at 500.

Jeff Petack
545

I was no different at your age. I was lucky and never got into an accident, but had my fair share of moving violations. I'm not saying your a bad kid or anything like that. I'm simply saying that a Viper is no vehicle for an inexperienced driver. Video games and arcade games can feel like the real thing, but trust me they're not.

Brandon Haynes
0

no i think he should get the viper, it's a really powerful, cop provoking car to get. you'll get lots and lots of speeding tickets because it has the power of about 4 regular cars and your young, inexperienced body won't be able to control all that power, so have fun getting tickets and when you finally do crash it cause videogames suck when it comes to simulating the real thing, hope your hospital bill isn't more than the piece of crap that you purchased, from the police auction, wow waht a find! and the videogame thing, trust me i'm going to school for game simulation programming and my favorite type of game, racing. nothing like the real thing. have fun wasting your money on gas too, it's 4.25 in chi town, and exspected to get to 6 by the end of summer.

Fred McClelland
2,125

YOU ARE A COMPLETE MORON!!! WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU PICK A VIPER FOR YOUR FIRST CAR ONE THEY ARE ONLY GOOD ON A STRAIGHT LINE 2 THEY GUZZLE GAS LIKE CRAZY 3 ITS LIKE GETTING INTO THE BAT MOBILE AND YOU LOOK OVER THE FENDER PRETTY MUCH 4 THEY ARE UGLY AS HELL 5 AMERICAN CARS SUCK UNLESS THEY ARE FROM 69 OR 70 5 YOUR TO YOUNG YOU PROB CANT DRIVE A SIXSPEED 6 YOU PROB CANT EVEN AFFORD THE INSURANCE LET ALONE THE CAR PAYMENT UNLESS YOUR MOMMY AND DADDY ARE PAYING FOR IT.......THATS THE END OF MY RANT

Darin Hamilton
25

Your CAPS LOCK key is on the left side of the keyboard. You may disable it at any time now. Thank you for your cooperation.

Darin Hamilton
25

If you get a *decent* Viper for less than $50K I'd be shocked and amazed. I've been to many police auctions, and I'll tell you that if a good car comes up you'll be out-bid in a hurry if you aim low.

Ferrous Ward
5

ughhh- not my first car. first car was a 1979 chevy corvette

Ferrous Ward
5

well, not really, i went to a police auction yestardy, and they sold a pretty decent viper(all it needed was spark plugs) for 15,000 i mean, no holes in the seats, no broken transmission ,no broken pedals, no broken gaused, no broken winshield so thats y i would buy one from there because i've saved up enough to buy one from a dealership but i couldn't find one at a dealership.

Jeff Petack
545

Will you go to school and take an Engllish and grammar class before posting? Thanks.

James Brookes
115

At least wait until your like 25 - 30 to get a Viper. By then you should have enough experience. Start out with a pos 4 cylinder or v6 with a manual first. If you buy that Viper now, you will crash the thing pretty fast. I can't imagine what the insurance would be under these circumstances lmao

Ferrous Ward
5

okay okay- i get the message. what about a 95 Toyota Supra Turbo

Darrin Pursley
0

fred u are a tard american cars are the best there is and a viper is not ugly and a 6 speed is not that hard to drive and anything with an 8.3 L 505 horsepower engine is gonna guzzle gas

Jeff Petack
545

I don't think you're quite getting the point. The only thing you should be driving is a car with tires and pillows mounted to the outside of it.

Ferrous Ward
5

-

Fred McClelland
2,125

start with a civic,240sx,integra something like that or if you really like american cars i guess a cobalt or mustang lol

Jeff Petack
545

Proud to be an American huh Fred?

Μην Τραν
0

If you can afford it, buy it! I wanted it back in college and now I'm in my 30s... finally!

Trevor Nelson
35

A viper is raw power, no inexperienced driver should be driving one around. Video games don't count lol.

racetracker
0

Have any of you worked on a viper, just the parts alone are expensive. If you have to go a auction to purchase the car then I would say you can't afford the car. As at $100 to $150 an hour to work on the car an the parts well It's high. Also I know of some dealers that will not work on the car at all. They don't see that kind of car all the time and don't even have the tools in the rowaway to work on the car. But if your heart is set on buying then go ahead. O what auction can I go and see these kind of cars go that cheap.