How do I manually start my car?

SusanSchwarz
440

Asked by SusanSchwarz Feb 12, 2013 at 12:47 PM about the 2012 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ

My car would not start yesterday, the message on my dashboard stated that the key was not recognized.  I was told it might have been due to an alarm system, on the building I was parked next to, was interfering with my keyless remote system.  I ready my owner’s manual (2012 Cruze LTZ) to see where I could insert my key manually, but there was not a place as the manual described.  How do I start my car with a manual key?  Where exactly is the ignition to place the key located?

54,965

Call the dealer.

SusanSchwarz
440

I've called three dealers with no success.

Ilregal

Clean the key, or try your spare, you should check back here in a bit and I will get the start routine for you. Screw the dealers, that's why we are here to try and avoid that as it's an expense you probably don't want check back in a little bit, or PM me

DavidH25

I don't know what building you were parked next to but unless they do something in there that emits some extremely strong electromagnetic field, even then I see no way it would interfere with your security transponder..otherwise all of the cars around there would be effected, bottom line: do what tenspeed said

SusanSchwarz
440

I tried my spare too. This is my son's car and I drive a different kind. My car has a place where I can insert a key, if my keyless would fail me. I can't find a place to insert a key on his car.

DavidH25

should still be under warranty

SusanSchwarz
440

I was parked next to a local loan agency. A Chevrolet dealer is the one that told me that it may be due to high-line wires or an alarm system that may be interferring with the signal.

Ilregal

There you are Dave, I was just looking for you and I am online with a tech pal and should get a response quickly, I hope and hey to the person asking, is this a push button type start?????

SusanSchwarz
440

I was at the right car..lol! One dealer did help me out and told me to empty the glove box and place the key bob on the sensor, which apparently is in the bottem of the glove box. When I did this, the car started after several tries. The key bob has a metal key that pops out, so I know there should be a place to be able to insert it. I just want to know where??!!

SusanSchwarz
440

Yes, push button start with keyless entry.

Ilregal

Also, are you hearing anything like it trying to start or sense you are saying you tried the spare, did you clean them real good??? and then try them one way in and turn it then if nothing pull the key out and flip insert and try again, with both keys it's the transponder chip, and are these original keys that came with the car???

7jimmy7
11,765

call your son their may be something he knows

SusanSchwarz
440

Keys are clean. I don't know where to insert the key?

SusanSchwarz
440

I receive a message stating No Key is Recognized (keyless remote)

SusanSchwarz
440

Thanks 7jimmy7, but I have tried the whole family and three dealerships and I still do not know where to insert the key manually. This is why I pose the question on this forum.

Ilregal

Ok, my buddy is stuck on a job, I am going to go get the manual and take a look 2012 chev cruz, ltz, give me five minutes, crap I hope your not in your car right now and trying to get rolling but it sounds like you are..

SusanSchwarz
440

Yes, original keys.

SusanSchwarz
440

No, I'm not in car, but thanks for your concern! I've read the manual and it states that there is a place in the glove box that can be removed to uncover a manual ignition, but no such thing exsists. No hurry!

Ilregal

I have manual, let me read just a second

SusanSchwarz
440

Thanks

SusanSchwarz
440

One dealer did help me out and told me to empty the glove box and place the key bob on the sensor, which apparently is in the bottom of the glove box. When I did this, the car started after several tries. The key bob has a metal key that pops out, so I know there should be a place to be able to insert it. I just want to know where??!!

Ilregal

Ok, good to know you aren't like at a shopping store or something, well hang tight and let me scan this owners manual and then if necessary I can go in to GM and see just what the heck, technology is new to me with these FOB's and the poke out stupid key, had heard of them, but not seen yet, so it's new, but, just hang tight as now I am irritated with this and will find something, well, I hope

SusanSchwarz
440

Wow! Thanks your help is really appreciated.

Ilregal

Oh FOB not BOB....LOL but might as well give the idiot a name..LOL and what about a quick get away, what is this removing things, I'll be back

SusanSchwarz
440

lol, I've re-read many of my messages and have lots of spelling/typo issues. I really do know better too.

Ilregal

Key named Bob is what I meant before someone named Bob here gets mad at me....LOL

Ilregal

What the ..... wow, this is a weird deal but I am looking at the numerous ways to start your car.. so working

SusanSchwarz
440

I know, I beginning to think that Chevrolet forgot to put in a place to start the car with a key??

Ilregal

Crap, it's only a four hundred page manual, shouldn't take me to long to read..LOL but I'm dyslectic, just kidding and trying to humor you ...LOL

Ilregal

Got Bob

Ilregal

click on pic and that's what you talking about right

SusanSchwarz
440

Yes, see that is a metal key that pops out of the BOB. I just don't know where to put the key in.

7jimmy7
11,765

the ingnition switch?

SusanSchwarz
440

yes, the ignition switch were you can insert the metal key.

Ilregal

lol

Ilregal

Ok, click on the pic here and T is where the key goes, BUT, let me see something as there is a key routine or something and I have to go back and take a look at what on earth, I am retired from GM, that explains instant access to this crap,

SusanSchwarz
440

T is where the push start is located. We were thinking it was where the Y is located, but the key does not fit.

SusanSchwarz
440

There is no place to insert a key where the T is, only a push start button.

Ilregal

The dealer was right about the radio frequency, so you press the button on the upper left of the fob and the key pokes out,,,,Check the distance. The transmitter may be too far from the vehicle. Check the transmitter's battery. See “Battery Replacement” later in this section, OK, So, you got up close to the vehicle and the remote didn't work, maybe dead battery in the FOB, but now, you have the picture were we are going to insert the key, be right back..... this is fun isn't it??? right, LOL.... starting a car I have never seen over the internet, weird

SusanSchwarz
440

lol! thanks for taking the time to help me investigate it.

SusanSchwarz
440

gotta love technology and helpful people

SusanSchwarz
440

The radio frequency makes sense to me. I just need to know how to start this car if it ever happens again. After all, I do frequent the nail salon next to the loan office and I don't want to be stranded again.

Ilregal

Ok, just got that reply, that was what I was wondering way back twenty questions ago, I think, good info, so let me check here, you mentioned WE?? Who is your assistant and where is the owner or did you just get this car?? I was afraid it was push start as I have seen it on other cars I have modified lately put have never had a key issue, so this is NEW, for real and I am hoping to find the answer in this stupid 400 page manual which is about the size of the car, and I hope to avoid going into GM tech direct and looking for answers as that will take a minute, but this is where technology gets stupid. I think the battery is dead for starts in the key FOB, but we can still start the stupid car as the Battery in it isn't dead, and you did get right up on the car and tried to remote start, so one good info is that glove box info from the dealer, they have gotten so damn bad when they can't help you over the phone, it pisses me off as having been a GM factory driver for their stupid , oh never mind, I'll get back

Ilregal

Yes, I can feel for that, I always hate it after I leave the nail saloon and end up replacing the stupid engine before I can get the car to start....LOL

Ilregal

Does this car have keyless doors, meaning the doors have NO key locks to unlock the door???

SusanSchwarz
440

We = (my entire family..lol). We have all tried to find the ignition switch to insert the metal key. No luck. Batteries in key and spare key are both new. Car only has 3000 miles on it. The car is driven mainly by my children. It is a push start, keyless start/entry car. I am hoping there is a way to also manually start the car, in case of BOB failure.

SusanSchwarz
440

The driver's door does have a slot where I can insert the key.

7jimmy7
11,765

one thing maby put key in switch as always, turn on off 3 times ,dont start just turn ,then try other key? is this a ltz car/

Ilregal

So you are telling me there is NO .... NO lock on the door to open it with a key????

SusanSchwarz
440

The door offers ways to enter the car either keylessly or manually.

SusanSchwarz
440

Yes, a key can be inserted on the door handle.

Ilregal

So, you can get inside apparently as you did say about the glove box and in the glove box you saw NO little hatch that might open as this manual is not very clear

SusanSchwarz
440

No hatch, but I did locate the sensor. I laid the BOB directly on the sensor and the car started after about three tries. There is no place to "unscrew" or "uncap," like the manual says...or I'm just not finding it. It is definitely not next to the USB port as it states in the manual.

Ilregal

got it hold on

SusanSchwarz
440

Even after the car started, my dashboard read "no detectable key." I just backed out and drove it home, hoping it would stay turned on.

Ilregal

alright, like the movie, Gone in 60 plus minutes, here you go, bling

SusanSchwarz
440

I can't find the location that this page speaks about..

Ilregal

Look at the page numbers as this is your owner manual. and this here is the page just before this one, kind got excited, this was fun, screwed, well never mind

SusanSchwarz
440

I know, I've read and seen this page, but still can't find the spot to insert the key.

SusanSchwarz
440

It's not there like it states and shows in the manual. This is why I'm thinking there has been a mistake or I'm just really slow...

SusanSchwarz
440

The picture you showed me on 1-2 is a picture that I've never seen. I can only view the picture, so can you tell me if it identifies the specific location?

Ilregal

Come on now, family this is a collective family brain power thing 2-7 and 2-8....LOL Section 2 then 8 or eight, gotta clown you now. Like how on earth were you supposed to know this, why didn't the GM people show you this when you bought the car, and mainly how on EARTH couldn't a GM guy tell you this to begin with on the phone, crap, I can assure you, I will never forget this and if I didn't have three monitors and a complete server system, I am not so sure I could have helped you as this was a tough one, but ah I love it and I am going to be making a comment to GM as I do have some connections and would appreciate it if I had the dealer and location you spoke to, and I am beyond seriously mad at GM as this should not have happened at all. Did you call the dealer you bought this car from??? I am getting pissed and not at you!!!!! Beside having been a factory Corvette driver and who I raced for GM until I was seriously hurt, this kind of crap is way out of hand, when a customer can't call a dealer and get an answer like this. I have never even seen one of these cars and have now been away from GM since 1992 when another of our teams wonderful brake techs, didn't know the difference between tight and not putting a nut on a component at all that caused me to come to a instant stop at 195mph, that's not how brakes are supposed to work. But I am still GM through and through, BUT this, I need some names family !!!

SusanSchwarz
440

lol! I have to be off-line for a little bit, but I'll be back in a few. Thanks for helping. Yes, I called the dealership where I bought it and they had no clue. My next step is to drive it directly to the dealership and let them figure it out. I'll be back in a few...

Ilregal

Ok look, I am going back to GM land and check something, but it's gotta be it and you need to pry that piece out, I be back, don't you dare quit on me now, >

SusanSchwarz
440

I'm not quitting, I promise. We have too much time invested in this problem. I just have to pick up kids from school.

Ilregal

Geez nail saloon???

Ilregal

Say hi to the kids and I too need to take my old Mom to the doc, I'll be back tonight and I really want to solve it for you and really think we have. But you get going and I was kidding about the nails, get hold of me if you need to....Have a great day where ever you are in the world

DavidH25

I just wanted to be answer #69, I have nothing to add Susan except I taught llregal everything he knows, and then some. Now, Susan, if you believe that I would like you to PM me here about a bridge I have for sale.

Ilregal

LOL hey Dave where you been??? Chicken, sent you a PM, Wow, really learned something and I owe it all to you brother, but I had better be noticed as the most relentless orator of all and most longest of all time most helpful knucklhead, man alive, this was tough. Dave I just can't stop grinning as this has to take the award for relentlessness at least, you think?? But like I said to you in the PM I am really pissed at GM

Ilregal

Bye the way to the Dear Client question asker, should you return and care to PM me with your email I will send you my copy of your owner manual in PDF which maybe newer?? That's doubtful but maybe instead of paper pages you might like the computer view, hell I don't know, but I have it if you want it, all 400 stupid pages of if and some other stuff for your navigation system if you need that...LOL and I can also send you one million 800 and forty five diagrams of your car, which clearly shows that they didn't forget to install another way to start your car with the key and by the way, You just need to understand that it's not in plan view like a normal car it is hidden and I wouldn't have been able to find it either, and you need to remove that piece of plastic that's hiding it to get at it....

SusanSchwarz
440

Where is the plastic piece located that I have to remove?

DavidH25

What say we go back to "how to I manually start my car?" Susan. I was not kidding about the building thing I wrote, if there is some kind of electromagnetic field, but you set me straight on that. I have absolutely no knowledge of these cars rich people drive, and I define "rich" as: You know if you are going to have anything to eat tonight. Don't get me wrong here, Gary has spent a lot of time and effort stemming from pure benevolence. He has no other motive than to help you, I guarantee that.

Ilregal

Hi, right now I have to go take Mom to the Doc appt. so when I get back I will help mean while I am going to email that PDF to you Dave and take the pics above for refer. and go at it and Susan, Dave my third hand always so he's good and will probably walk you through, but the piece is in those pics above Dave, so check your email, I am way late and am on the run, Good luck, it's there Dave

Ilregal

You be nice Dave, finish the job please, and check your email in a couple minutes and Sue don't let him talk crap to you as I will be back "Dave" and check up LOL............. Bye

DavidH25

I am always nice, to a fault. Now Susan, what say you and me blow this joint. Your place or mine? We can manually start your car or something

Ilregal

Geez Dave, well I am back and it seems like someone has stomped on the brakes here, and let me guess. Nice comment ... Dave !! That sure doesn't sound right..

SusanSchwarz
440

Ok I'm back but only for a short time because I have a busy day. Can you tell me where the piece is that I can remove to get to the ignition?

Ilregal

Hi Sue, hey did you get my PM?? I to have some things I need to get done, are East or West Coast?? So, I know what time schedule we are on. I think what I am going to do is photo shop with arrows and the like to what it si you need to do, but that will take me until later as I can't do anything right this minute. But believe this, I'll stick with you, we will get this, OK.. So let me know and I asked in the PM how you wanted to do this here, or email if your not worried about some email address getting in a creepy old wanta be helpers hands...LOL Look you can always go to hotmail and just open a new email account just for this situation and dump it when done... I don't care, but it's a lot easier by email, I would like to send you that copy of your Cruz manual that I got in PDF and I can't do that through this.. Let me know,,, And guess what,??? I am glad you didn't quit, I did expect this to have been resolved by the time I got home last night but something happened on another end of this and the help I was hoping would help just couldn't, I guess, but your back, good for you, like I said once, " Don't you quit on me" and you said you wouldn't and you haven't, great, we'll get it, just let me get those pics in order and I'll point the way and if you have to take a lap top out to that darn car and we real time this thing while your sitting there with a tool to pry that piece off, well that's what we'll do..... LOL or I just might jump out of your trunk,, yikees

iliketapeek
10

I have one of these and have experienced this recently... the little piece of plastic you pop out to insert the key to start it manually is right there by the cupholder under the button and e brake lever... where I kept my change...no need to turn it...my dealership didn't know that either... Didn't really believe me till I recorded it on my cell phone and sent it to them