1999 Chrysler Sebring LXi V6 2.5L

crhboy
170

Asked by crhboy Feb 20, 2011 at 07:01 AM about the 1999 Chrysler Sebring 2 Dr LXi Coupe

My chrysler has a problem which I can't seem to fix. It started when it was taking a little bit to start, then it eventually was taking a lot longer to start or wouldn't start at all. I've changed spark plugs( and wires), IAC sensor, distrubutor cap, and since I did that it still took a bit to start but when it does start it will run great until it warms up and then it will get choppy and will just run like absolute crap. Then I changed the IAC valve and it ran but still kinda crappy, felt like there was not a lot of power behind it anymore. ANY help will be appreciated

crhboy
170

I also recently have been trying to change the 02 sensors, nobody can tell me how many it actually has it either has 3 or 4, I've seen 3 so far but they were in front of the catalytic converter, does there have to be a downstream sensor? could bad 02 sensors be the cause? other information-drop in gas mileage, occasional gas smell, fuel pump does turn on, when running and warmed up it starts to miss and gets progressively worse, still having trouble with starting(doesn't seem to be firing at all)

Jayevans
300

I am having the exact same issues on my '98 LXi. I have yet to replace any sensors as I want to be sure there are no vacuum leaks. Please e-mail jaybird174@aol.com if you find the answer, if you wouldn't mind.

ehsteve
50

Hey I have the same issue with my 2000 sebring convertible JXi. When i took it to my mechanic he said it is most likely the fuel pump or a clogged filter on the fuel pump. mine now occasionally will turn off on me when idling as well. If or when I get a chance to do the repair on the fuel pump i will let you know

Jayevans
300

I just replaced IAC valve, idle control sensor, and pvc valve...car idles great for a few minutes then stumbles. When I try to drive it, when coming to a stop it dies. After restart it runs rough, I hold idle at 1500 for a few minutes, starts to run fine, and then repeats the cycle. ????????????????? HELP!!!!!

ShawnIs Back
100

I have a 99 Sebring lxi i tried to start it but no spark it will crank but not start i've changed the distributor $260, $ 36 plugs, $50 wired, $7 rotor, and $35 cap and still no start but guess what it was to cause this ($85 FUEL PUMP) change the fuel pump first before doing any other work will save you a lot of money$$$$$$$.

crhboy
170

I'm curious, but when you cranked it and it wouldn't start could you smell gasonline?

crhboy
170

The last time I got my car running I took it for a test drive and it did the same thing that yours was doing. While driving did it seem like the response time of the accelerator was slow and that there wasn't a lot of power behind it?

Jayevans
300

If there is absolutely no power at higher speeds, it could be your catalitic converter (I had that problem with a different vehicle). I put a new egr valve in it (the old one was definitly bad) and it ran great...for a while..now it won't start. UGH!!! The accelerator seemed ok, it did have a slight pause before kicking in but had plenty of power.

Joseph Picard
40

change your EGR valve it will fix it.

Joseph Picard
40

its always the easy stuff + they are known for it.

Shica Nicole
0

I have a 99 lxi coupe. My throttle cable pop... My car keeps running hot but it has water in it and all my floods are good. I dont know why it will not start. I have had this car since February and I had to get a new alternator, distributor caps, spark plugs, oil change, radiator, and brakes. What do you think could be the problem?

Skorpo303
0

@ shica I had a similar issue last year after I had my coolant flushed, apparently it has to do with the fact that the radiator needs to be blead. You are supposed to take the top hose and pull it toward you and slowly pour the coolant through the hose not through the radiator cap, until the coolant starts to over flow and cme out at the end of the radiator cap.

bobbycollins
5

I Have A Chrysler sebring lxi 99 my car shut off on me but its spinning over but just will not crank up ive changed my spark plugs, whole distributor, transmission filter , crank sensor but still no crank it just spins over its not my fuel pump cause it comes on when i turn my key help me somebody please .