removing oil pan to replace rods and mains

thx569
40

Asked by thx569 May 05, 2011 at 10:46 PM about the 1999 Chrysler 300M 4 Dr STD Sedan

My kids 99 Chrys 300M 3.5Lt engine has low to no oil pressure with a 10-30 oil but hold pressure well with straight 40wt.  Rods and mains are indicated but what's the procedure to get the two front oil pan nuts off?  All else looks easy enuf to get off.

P

rammstein
10

you dont have to remove the nuts, just loosen them. the oil pan is slotted in the front i.e., the posts are not through holes in the pan. you probably will have to loosen then rotate the sway bar slightly to remove the pan.

Jeremiah Wickersheim
40

I have the same problem.all bolts are off, but the pan still doesn't drop down all the way.its getting hung up on the flywheel and tranny housing. And sub frame is not allowing the pan to move towards the front of the car. Any help?

thx569
40

Undo the lower motor mount bolts, jack up engine carefully and slip 1 1/2 -2" blocks under them the get the clearance. You don't have to remove the dipstick tube if you also have AC (major work). Wiggle the pan loose of the dipstick tube. Remember to silicone the tube end and slip it into the pan before you re-bolt it back up. Know that there are 6 bolts holding each main cap on. Know enuff to only remove/replace 1 & 3 and then 2 & 4 or risk seal damage. I have completed this bitchy job and if you want the full story of what you need to do call me back. P (cselby@mts.net)