Does anyone know how to use the Manual in the Automatic Transmission Chevy Cruze?

Kristina O'Brien
145

Asked by Kristina Apr 18, 2013 at 02:03 PM about the 2011 Chevrolet Cruze 1LT

My car (picture) has Manual with AT. I want to learn how to use it to get better gas mileage. I tried once but almost hurt the
engine. I went right back into AT after that. The car's manual was no help at all and neither was Google. Any tips anyone?

49,625

With any transmission, automatic, manual and manual with automatic clutches, getting to the highest gear in the shortest amount of time will result in the best fuel economy. Leave it in "Drive" and let the transmission do the thinking.

Kristina O'Brien
145

How do you mean? I have normal AT and at the "D", if I pull it towards the left, there's "M" with "+" and "-". I'd like to know how to utilize it.

49,625

When you pull it to the left, you take manual control of when the transmission is going to shift. It's just like a manual transmission but you have no clutch pedal. To get better gas mileage, you want the engine to be turning slower so you would shift up to the highest gear as soon as the car is going fast enough. -- The manual controls are mostly for faster driving or when you anticipating passing someone or to provide more engine braking when descending a hill.

Best Answer
Kristina O'Brien
145

Oh okay. Thanks.