2009 Jeep G. Cherokee will not start

ktmkaboom
20

Asked by ktmkaboom Jun 19, 2012 at 07:57 PM about the 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD

Car has power all accessories functioning, but doesn't start. Turn key & nothing happens (doesn't turn
over at all). Happened several times in past few days but keep turning key & would start after several
tries. I thought it was a key problem, however it won't start with any of the key now.

68,105

It's possible the ignition cylinder or ignition switch is bad.

ktmkaboom
20

Thanks Tom. I started car today & no problem. However, in the past week, I've turned the key once or twice & get nothing. The 3rd or 4th time it works like a charm. It's hit or miss, sometimes it works perfect, sometimes after several tries, and yesterday not at all. Do you still suspect the cylinder or switch?

TonytheWoodsman
755

Also you could clean the battery clamps and posts, if you haven't done so.

ktmkaboom
20

Thanks Tony. I did that. Car is working OK last few days, but have no faith in it.

Mike Kirk
35

when you try turning the car and it doesn't start, listen for a click and see if any electric dash lights/digital clocks or courtesy lights dim.... if you hear a click it could be the starter motor (especially if the lights dim too), if you hear no click but the lights dim its more likely to be the coil or dodgy battery connection/earthing if neither happens its more likely the ignition barrel/wiring itself this is not foolproof but may getting you looking in the right place

scooterbates4
20

Had the exact same problem. Replaced the starter and it started up right away twice on the third try nothing. So now I have no clue what the problem is!

09Cherokee
120

My 2009 Cherokee just did exactly the same today as op... wouldn't start(no crank) with key, also tried factory remote start still no crank, called tow truck and tried one last time before towing then it cranked and started... have feeling is module or relay, please post if you've solved this problem.

thejeepdoctor
1,465

wireless control module locking up...there is TSB's abt this.

pookisue
0

Ours does that too. We replaced the battery twice, starter twice and now I'm wondering if it's the transmission range sensor.

usetolovemyjeep
50

Same thing is going on with mine. Had AAA jump in and it started in N. Took is to dealer to have them look it over and they had no idea what the problem was. They sent me on my way with no answers. Wouldn't start again after about 3 weeks of starting every time. Let is sit for the weekend and it started right up using the factory remote starter. I haven't tried the key yet. Can someone please tell me what is going on because I'm getting nothing from the dealer.

09Cherokee
120

My non crank issue was a poor connection at the starter motor on the solenoid wire. The connection used is a female spade terminal like you would find used for car speakers. Most cars use an eyelet connector and it's bolted to solenoid..... When I went under the vehicle and grabbed the wire at the solenoid you could easily wiggle it at the connection, I unplugged (practically fell off) the female spade terminal and pinched it so it would be tight fit on the male terminal. That was months ago and it's been fine.

MadMadMudder
20

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Not Starting. Possible solution. Yesterday, my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee started for 2 seconds then the engine shut off. Did this three times then nothing. Turn the key all the lights came on but turning the key produced nothing. Had power to all electronic components inside. Saw people here with same issue and tried some suggestions. After disconnecting the battery and letting it sit, nothing. Tried starting it in neutral, nothing. Rocking it to make sure it was in Park, nothing. Tow truck driver came and said he had dealt with this before. It was the key. The car was not accepting it as a proper key and had shut down as part of the alarm system. Went home and got the other key and it started right up. Turned it off later and tried the other key, nothing. 2nd key it starts fine. If you have this issue does round red alarm light on the dash lite up when you turn the key ? A test to see if it's the key (ALARM SOUNDS DURING TEST) is to push the doors lock to set the alarm, unlock the drivers door from the outside manually using the key (not the electronic button on the key) the alarm should go off. Put the key in the ignition and turn. If the alarm does not stop you probably have a malfunctioning key. Pop the hood and disconnect the battery to shut the alarm off. Hope this helps.

timothymfullerton
0

Great info,i called jeep dealer;one meechanic said ifalarm Stays on,malfunction to put charger on,with key on'forward,for halfhour,this may reset alarm