Convertible Top?

Adam Reilly

Asked by Adam Oct 19, 2008 at 01:10 PM about the 2008 Lotus Elise Base

Will the Lotus Elise ever have an electric top?

Ian Surmon

It's unlikely that Lotus will produce an Electrical- mechanical top for the Elise. Adding more Components such as an electric top to the Elise will increase it's weight and severely change the ride and Handling characteristic of the car. There would be no storage space in any case for a folding top on the Elise in any case, the Engine is Mid mounted and just about completely takes ups the space at the rear of the car.

Adam Reilly

That is true. I sure do want one for their speed. Maybe I would try to get a non-convetible version, if I even have the chance to get one. Putting the top down would cause more drag since the rear window stays up doesnt it?

Ian Surmon

The Elise is designed in such a way that their is a minimal amount of drag with the top down. However if you're looking for a non convertible Lotus, I suggest the Exige-S, with Performance pack option. The performance pack pushes the Horsepower from 220 hp to 243 hp. with a 700 kilogram curb weight, you will get phenomenal power to weight ratio The Exige S also has a 1.8 liter engine, but unlike the Elise R, it's supercharged. Their are variations of Elise models also. The Elise S at 137 hp, the Elise R that runs at 187 hp and the Elise SC Supercharged at 220 hp